• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Humvee tachometer installed

shawnshumvee

Just installed my new tach gauge. Now i can monitor my shift points and idel. I think this is the best location for the gauge. Next upgrade is going to be a VIC-1 intercom set.

Attachments

Last edited:

shawnshumvee

I know one location is at the top of the windshield with a formal install kit (source: HMMWV-Direct sales) not sure on the other locations? i seen people put them on the dash that's ok but not my cup of tea. i just wanted the new gauge kinda next to the other gauges, somewhat in the vicinity at least. It seemed more fitting, more normal to me.

By the way, lets see where you mounted yours?

The best location is in one of the two original locations. and that's not either one

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a complete vic-1 system, pm if interested.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the spot I had planned on putting mine. Did the bracket behind the dash keep you from putting it higher? The other spot I thought of was on the upper left side of the doghouse. Well done.

Mark

shawnshumvee

Yeah If I remember correctly there was a space issue and duct work as to why I didn't go higher and I didn't want to wast the decal. I was also able to relocate the air filter gauge. I thought the whole project turned out pretty good. I'm happy. It also works pretty good, well some times. I think I got a bad tach unit? On my 6.5 GEP? The gauge works and then with out warning it stops! So I tapped the top of the tach unit and the gauge starts working again so I'm sure the tach unit is bad. I order a new tach unit on eBay. So that should fix it? But yeah setting back in the drivers seat and looking at the instrument cluster as a whole, I really think the location of the gauge is a Good location. I recommend this location, but that's me. I watched the YouTube video we're the guy shows you step by step how to wire the tach. The video was excellent and helpful but I didn't care for were he mounted his. It just seemed like the easiest and quickest way. I wanted a more professional look. But yeah I like it.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen at least 4 of what look like "factory" locations for tach placement. There may be more as well. Upper windshield, IN the left part of the doghouse, a special bracket ON the upper left part of the doghouse and another special bracket right of doghouse, though I'm not certain this one houses a tach. What's important is that which makes the owner happiest. The only hard and fast rule is, there are no hard and fast rules. Here are pictures of a couple unusual mountsTach on dog.jpgTach right.jpg.

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it, looks good.
I just ordered my tach, I will do the same install, look real good and great placement, much better than having to look up or bolting it to the doghouse
Thanks

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, I also got my tach, but no Humvee, it been at the fab shop for the last two week getting pipe doors, can't wait to get my toy back.

Awol

I like the tach there. I don't like having to look up to see gauges.

Looks like a nice, clean install!

DLJIII

Hey, that looks great.
Good spot, out of the way, fits perfectly, wiring was easier too I imagine.
Personally, I think the two original locations are a tad bit slow in the head.
I love mounting critical cluster gauges four feet away and at a point where you have to lean and tilt your head away from the roadway to see and monitor.
I mounted mine right on the "dash" itself, off center of the wheel to the right, nice little homemade round housing bracket, ran the wires through a couple of holes I drilled, looks great and like you said, I love being able to see how hard I am pushing the old war horse.

I dont put things in front of the dog house either, anything that can be removed and require me to detach electronics or hardware just to access and service the drive train is a no no for me.
I mounted my switch panel on my homemade $1,000 quarter inch steel hardtop. Looks better, works better and keeps the center clean and clear of what eventually looks like the sharper image soup bowl.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks