• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my new m35a2

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Woo hoo! Congrats! Nothing like jumping into an unknown Deuce and driving it on a long drive that hopefully ends at home!

Truck looks good...enjoy wrenching and getting to know your Deuce! Do you know anything about its past?

The fuel fired heater is a nice upgrade. Does it work? It probably cooks you to well done in the small cab. Probably need the windows open when that thing is on!

Sheet metal looks straight, you have a hard top..all good things.

What are your plans?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HN6

Woo hoo! Congrats! Nothing like jumping into an unknown Deuce and driving it on a long drive that hopefully ends at home!

Truck looks good...enjoy wrenching and getting to know your Deuce! Do you know anything about its past?

The fuel fired heater is a nice upgrade. Does it work? It probably cooks you to well done in the small cab. Probably need the windows open when that thing is on!

Sheet metal looks straight, you have a hard top..all good things.

What are your plans?

I was getting heat from somewhere! I would guess it does due to where the truck was in service. Window open for sure. The truck spent its life in a gold mine here in Ak. It was used to transport supplies in and out. They also had a nice 5 ton. I plan to use the truck for play and going back country country... river beds.. rocky ones that is. my buddy just texted me "lets go get it stuck" somewhere close to the D9. I will test it out here locally close to some heavy equipment as I get used to it. Brakes, tire upgrade, all seals and lockers are on the list.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contrar....The first thing to do is grab you a lawn chair and a few cold ones and sit there and stare at it till it’s too dark to see. Smiling every minute.
The next thing to do is invite everyone over to look at it and you with big smile and watch them shake their heads and say what the**** are you going to do with that?
Then read the TMs and then hook a direct line from your bank account to the green beast and start feeding it. They are hungry animals!!!

HN6

Contrar....The first thing to do is grab you a lawn chair and a few cold ones and sit there and stare at it till it’s too dark to see. Smiling every minute.
The next thing to do is invite everyone over to look at it and you with big smile and watch them shake their heads and say what the**** are you going to do with that?
Then read the TMs and then hook a direct line from your bank account to the green beast and start feeding it. They are hungry animals!!!
My daughter already slapped her head with a crazy look. The lookieloos are showing up. My wife's friends are consoling her and encouraging like kind revenge. Yes, TM's and it even came with the shop manual.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Elk1111 may have a point...when I showed up with my Qeen Lola I found myself doing a kitchen reno very shortly thereafter. When I obtained my 8v71 Detroit Kenworth this year I did the bathroom (just finished). There is a pattern here of in kind retribution!
Better watch out!

V8srfun

Elk1111 may have a point...when I showed up with my Qeen Lola I found myself doing a kitchen reno very shortly thereafter. When I obtained my 8v71 Detroit Kenworth this year I did the bathroom (just finished). There is a pattern here of in kind retribution!
Better watch out!

This is why it took me years to get my truck. It took me a long time to help my wife understand that we needed the deuce and before buying she was actually helping me look for one. Or maybe she was working on me all that time because i have hauled 30 tons of gravel (so much shoveling) for the driveway, hauled about 15 yards of dirt/compost for the garden boxes that I made, hauled the lumber for the garden boxes, picked up some fruit trees, pulled countless tree stumps probably 60-75, and on occasion for some light service we will go get some ice cream in the truck.

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, good for you jumping in and driving it home. When I bought my M934, three of my friends and I drove it 1,000 miles home in 10 degree weather. A total leap of faith.
Second, once the breaks are good, ask your bride to drive it. My wife so enjoys the hobby, she has her own M151.
Third, make room on your driveway for the next MV and ones that follow it... It just seems to go like that. ;)

HN6

First off, good for you jumping in and driving it home. When I bought my M934, three of my friends and I drove it 1,000 miles home in 10 degree weather. A total leap of faith.
Second, once the breaks are good, ask your bride to drive it. My wife so enjoys the hobby, she has her own M151.
Third, make room on your driveway for the next MV and ones that follow it... It just seems to go like that. ;)
I did take a friend (mechanic), my truck and lots of tools, fluids. I added a CCKW to the yard 2 weeks prior, but realized that is a complete project, so 2 MV's in 3 weeks for $3000.

HN6

I understand a 395/85/20 can fit on the stock wheel. Any reason to not use it as it will be maxed out?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand a 395/85/20 can fit on the stock wheel. Any reason to not use it as it will be maxed out?
395s are designed for a wider wheel. I strongly advocate against it, although I have seen it done. My choice would be MRAP rims and adapter plates.

If you must remain with the stock wheels, consider 11.00's.

HN6

395s are designed for a wider wheel. I strongly advocate against it, although I have seen it done. My choice would be MRAP rims and adapter plates.

If you must remain with the stock wheels, consider 11.00's.
Thanks. I am saving pennies and spending dollars. On another note, lockers would more than make up the difference if running smaller tires. Trying to skin this cat only once.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I am saving pennies and spending dollars. On another note, lockers would more than make up the difference if running smaller tires. Trying to skin this cat only once.
The deuce is really impressively capable even on 9.00 NDTs and open diffs. There's also something to be said for 5 spares instead of one.

If your current tires are serviceable, I'd delay a tire upgrade until you can go all out on it.

Just my opinion.

V8srfun

people have ran wide tires on narrow wheels and narrow tires on wide wheels without issue. The only thing you are going to loose with a 395 on stock wheel is a little bit of contact patch. There are countless examples of people running them on stock wheels without issue.

I was heavily in to drifting when I was younger and I ran 7 inch wide tires on 9 inch wide wheels. This was for a couple reasons but mainly because it kept the sidewalls of the tire tight so the tire would not roll and the center line of thetread would not walk under load compared to the center line of the wheel. this made for a much more predictable turn in and just a better steering feel over all.I know people that ran 11 inch wide wheels with 7 inch wide tires and the bead of the tire did not even contact the outer lip of the wheel and thy never had a problem. We abused these cars on a daily basis constantly drifting and sliding the cars around turns with no problems. I do not remember even one issue that could have been associated with running a tire and wheel combo that was not recommended by manufacturer.

Back in the day of hot rods and muscle cars it was common practice to put the widest tire that you could shoe horn in to the wheel well most of the time on stock wheels. These guys never had issues that were caused by the tire to wheel width relationship. Now they may have had issues with rubbing the fender well and cutting the tire but that has nothing to do with our conversation here.

I understand people want to be helpful and say that something is not recommended but if you have no real world experience to justify the recommendations why are you even recommending in the first place. There are countless things we do on a daily basis that is not recommended and yet it doesn’t stop us. For example I don’t smoke but many do and it is widely known that it is not recommended, I also don’t drink but most that do usually drink with the internet of getting drunk. Drinking to the point of getting drunk is not recommended by the sellers of the alcohol and the health professionals that have studied the effects it has on your body. Recommendations are suggestions that are given and in our case with the tire to wheel with ratio it is a suggestion given without context. The manufacturer did not publish a article on the effects of running a wide tire on a narrow wheel. For all we know the only negative effects is that the outer edge of the tread rolls down a little bit causing a small decrease in contact patch. This small decrease is not going to effect anything negatively because there is still more than enough contact to provide ample traction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks