• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally planned to take a break after finishing the WC51 but I found a good deal on a GPW in my town so I snatched it up. The owner used it as a farm truck and modified the rear panel to make a tailgate and for some reason jerry rigged a cab using an old pickup cab. Pretty sorry to look at but I knew in could be brought back easy enough. All matching numbers and body is in decent shape and it runs. Certainly much better than my WC51 when I started.

Here are some initial pictures. :-D

GPW-As-Delivered.jpgAs-Delivered.jpgCab-and-Pipe-Bumper-Removed.jpgTailgate-Modification.jpgDash.jpgEngine-Compartment.jpgBumper-Gussets.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ya know...I may still have some seat frames for that baby. I'll look in the "forgotten shed".:oops:

Hey...at least there's no wood needing paint on this project!!:naner:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations.

I assume you're going to give it the full treatment?

I may have some extra stuff laying around for a GPW........................................................... :p

ducer

You have to keep that front grill guard! I hate to say it but that cab is probably one of if not the best home fabricated cabs I have ever seen on a jeep. With all that said if you do as good a job on the jeep as the WC that thing is sure to be a knock out!

Denny

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, I liked the cab too. I'm glad it's your machine, it it were mine and it ran, it would have already been in the woods for a trail ride.

zout

Somewhere on SS is a pic of a farm jeep I gave PB - it had a cab and 3 point hyd system on it. Reminds me of that one with the cab.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice find, and I like the cab also. The front bumper looks like it needs to go on a farm tractor of some sort.....

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats tinwoodsman looks like a GREAT project! When I first looked at your pics and saw that cab I was expecting clowns to start coming out. NO offense to anyone intended here BUT thank God that cab is OFF!!!
KK

dmetalmiki

Seeing these pictures has inspired me to "get at it" with restoration I have taken up..a similar willys 1942..but missing 1000s of parts..(or so it seems) and I just needed a stirr to get me motivated and actually started on it. Thanks..and good luck and success with your resoration.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks