• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New toy

pwrwagonfire

So after much searching, dissapointments, and heartbreak...I am finally the owner of a 1952 Hardtop M37!

Bought it from a gentleman I was referred to by SS Forum Member Paul Sanborn (Thanks by the way Paul). Was housed indoors for years in a machine shop untill about 4 or 5 years ago.

Truck isnt rotted out at all, just light surface rust...even has the tailgate! Runs, but smokes a bit, no brakes at this time. Perfect for my needs.

Has army corps of engineers logos on the doors, but no other history is known.

Picking it up the end of this week, Ill be sure to post more pictures when I have it home!

Attachments

Skip

Nice Find

It looks to be in good shape. It takes some time to get them done unless you have a lot of money to pay someone to do it for you. I understand you are going to build this with your family, great.
If you don't mind , how much did you have to pay for it?

nattieleather

Does the bed cap come with it? Might get some money for parts by selling that... :)

Truck looks good and looks like a good canidate for fixing and or restoring.

91W350

I keep telling myself I do not need a M-37, over and over.... I fear I will have to buy one... it seems to be destiny. I always liked them and seeing one restored or being restored once in a while surely does not help my cause any. :) Looks like fun to me! Glen

pwrwagonfire

It looks to be in good shape. It takes some time to get them done unless you have a lot of money to pay someone to do it for you. I understand you are going to build this with your family, great.
If you don't mind , how much did you have to pay for it?

I picked this one up for $1800

I am not really sure yet if the cap is included....if it is, hopefully it'll get me a little extra!

My question is....does this look like a factory hardtop like the guy says? I realize they arent the best pictures for this type of question, but could somebody post pics of how a confirmed hardtop is attached to the cab?

WarrenD

Congrats. Every time I see something green (or something that used to be green) I turn into Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack.....Give me three of those, a box of those, 6 of those over there.....etc.

pwrwagonfire

Got a couple more pictures for you guys now that its home! Been working on it quite a bit, flushing the fuel tank, etc.

Going to try and get some pedal on the brakes tomorrow, wish me luck!

On a sidenote- I didnt think that the truck would have much fuel in the tank (its been off the road since 96)...so I had a 5 gallon pail ready to catch what came out of the fuel-tank drain (I figuired it was an 8-10 gallon gas tank so that would be sufficient). Long story short, it turns out the truck had a FULL tank of gas...and I had a big mess on my hands!

Question for all of you m37 owners: this may be a dumb question, but does EVERY M37 have a PTO already on the transmission? I have a parts truck with an intact PTO and winch setup, so I would like to know if I can just transfer it to my truck easily.

ALSO, have any of you seen a hardtop attached to an M37 in this way? Part of me wonders if its the top from a CCKW...

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The non-winch trucks did not have a PTO. The hard top is from a WWII CCKW, adapted for the M37. I am not sure if it is a military adaptation or a Memphis Equipment type thing. Your truck has huge potential to be super nice!!

bubba_got_you

NDT: Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

I assume removing the said PTO would be quite the job...do you guys think it would be do-able without moving the vehicle into a shop?
***********[FONT=&quot] should be rather simple I wouldn’t think putting it in a shop is necessary but it would be nice. As far as I know it is a unbolt move to other truck and rebolt job but I have only removed pto’s not installed. [/FONT]

Capt.Marion

You have to have the plate to bolt in place of the PTO when you remove it, otherwise the transmission lube will just come right out... sell the PTO to someone and get them to send your their PTO cover.

pwrwagonfire

So my question now (after having atempted it) is

Do I need a puller to get the PTO off? All the bolts came out no problem, and it is loose. But I cannot seem to get the thing off the truck. Is there some linkage Im missing?:?:

pwrwagonfire

So spent the day, and after much maching, finally got the new 12volt alternator on! Good thing my grandfathers a machinist...:roll:

Heres some shots of the finished product- the wiring in the truck is trash, but Im saving it for now untill I get the engine finished. The last picture shows my buddy rob (mrcucv here on SS) checking out the days work. Thank you to everyone who helped me with advice about this project!

Also, apparently the parts truck I have is in fact an M-37B1...which Ive been told would account for my difficulties in getting the PTO off.

Attachments

Last edited:

scooter01922

Machining abilities sure do come in handy sometimes. Sorta have access to just about any machine and knowledge i need as well via grandfather. Truck looks real nice, amazingly so considering all the truck eating salt around here. keep up the good work.

pwrwagonfire

Gentlemen:

I am pleased to announce that after much frustration and skinned knuckles, my M37 is now once again mobile!

I've been working on it the last few days getting ready to do the brakes, and moving it to its new home.

Pictures to come tomorrow

Thanks to everyone on the forum for all the support so far in the project.

Capt.Marion

I must say, if there's ever a satisfying job to do on the M37, it's brakes. I replaced everything save the brake lines, and it feels sooo good to be able to lock 'em up without even having to pump the brakes!

pwrwagonfire

Alright, sorry it took so long for the update!

Today I jacked up the 'ol girl in the backyard, and got down to the buisness of replacing wheel cylinders.

Wheels came off easily (surprise) I gave the lug nuts a good shot of PB Blaster last night before it got dark and let them sit overnight. Had to pull many spider nests, etc out of the crevices (I HATE spiders)! Got the hub off easily, nothing fought with me. The flange gasket behind the hub was completely destroyed....basically non-existant, I included a picture of it here, and a picture of it after I scraped it off the flange with a putty knife.

What stopped the progress? Well....thunderstorms, AND I am missing a tool....I posted a possible borrowing request in another thread, I've been to sears twice and not been able to find a tool which is big enough, so I'm pretty much dead in the water for now untill somebody helps me out!

I should add I guess, that as well as doing the brakes; at the same time I am installing Warn locking hubs, new gaskets, and checking the steering knuckles for wear, and re-packing them.
Having a great time working on this thing though, I agree with you Capt.Marion, satisfying job! Cannot wait to get into the actual BRAKE DRUM! :oops:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks