• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My smallest MV yet! 1953 M38A1

Mac53

Just added an M38A1 to my modest collection. Right now, the plan is to just get it operating well on the road (and off), have some fun with it, and start collecting the parts to do a nice restoration down the road.
From what I can gather, this is a USMC truck? The plates read Ord., but from what I have read, the bumpers show it was in the USMC?

Right now it is running a little rough. It ran okay before taking it on a 2 hour drive home, but it isn't very happy driving around now. No power at all when you start to take the clutch out. The gas tank leaks (so I'm told, I haven't tried it), so they ran a line to the jerry can on the back and are using that instead (yikes). None of the lights are hooked up... the 2 front fenders will need to be replaced... The passenger floor pan is rusted out, as well as the bottom of the battery box... and it obviously doesn't have the right top or bows. Other than that, it has all the plates, is titled, and seems complete as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a first time jeep-er? Or suggestions on where to find some of those parts?

IMG950488.jpgIMG950485.jpgIMG950480.jpgIMG950489.jpgIMG950486.jpgIMG950481.jpgon trailer.jpgIMG950487.jpgIMG950482.jpg

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mac53 you have a Pinz and m-37 and now an M-38A1, Congrats I think your fleet is pretty darned neat! The M-38 looks like it certainly has lots of potential, I have seen some really beautiful restos on these over the years, I am sorry I dont know much about Jeeps but I do see Ad after Ad in the Military vehicle magazine for replacement parts both NOS and reproductions. Looks like a fun project!
KK

Mac53

Karl,
Thanks! They're all very different, and tons of fun.
I'm really quite excited about it. I've been working on a project with my friends CJ2a and it really made me want to get one, and then the opportunity just kind of came up!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not bad.

Not sure if it's a USMC A1 but it does have the USMC rear lift rings and reinforced crossmember.

Here's some info: http://www.m38a1.com/models/models_usmc.htm

I'd like to know what the smaller dataplate is that's between the instrument cluster and the brass dataplate cluster.

I can't believe it still has a rear seat. They never have the rear seat (and rear seats are priced accordingly).

I think the best way to find vendors is to get a copy of Supply Line, the MVPA's quarterly (?) newsletter. Every single Jeep parts vendor advertises there.

I've bought from Kaiser-Willys, Peter DeBella, Ron Fitzpatrick (G503) and somebody else I can't remember.

Al Harvey

That's in a whole lot better shape then the M38A1 I picked up and am in the process of restoring right now. Looks like a great find. How bad are the fenders? I'm gonna have an extra set in a lil bit, they need a lil work though. Hit me up when you get to that point if your in need. Good Luck with the project!

Mac53

Clinto-
I looked at that link. It has remnants of an undercoating as well as the reinforced bars. I'm not sure what a sealed bellcrank would look like though. Does anyone have a photo of a normal or sealed one so that I could compare?
It also has skidplates... They don't look too poorly done. Is this something the military ever did?
The other plate is just a sheet of galvanized. It is covering a large round hole in the dash. Any ideas on why?
Glad the seats are there! I had no idea they were so uncommon.

Al- Thanks! They are both torn and have bondo work....really bad bondo work. Not worth fixing, most likely. If you have some fenders later, I'd definitely be interested in them. A little work is fine, but these are pretty shot, without at least pieces to patch in.

FrankUSMC

Mac
First, nice jeep to start with! I have three M38A1s down here on the coast of North Carolina, I am building a M38A1C out of one, and the other two are for parts at this time. Stop in if you ever make a run to the coast.

Second, change the M38 USMC to a M38A1 USMC on your list of vehicles. Marine M38s are super rare on the east coast, the west coast got them, but not the east coast. They went from the WWII jeeps right into the M38A1.

Third, this is a suggestion, on the aluminum plate on the dash board. If it is a big hole behind it, the fire department cut into the dash. Pull the plate off, paint it flat black, then put one of those yellow military safe driver decals on it, then remount it. Only a handful of guys will know it is not correct, and they will get a laugh out of it on how you covered the hole. This will work till you can find another dash board.

One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

Mac53

Frank,
Thanks! Where did you find the parts to turn it into a C? Are you just going to leave it with the mount, or do you have a mockup recoilless, or? I will definitely stop by if I ever make it over there.
Good catch on my signature!
That is actually pretty clever, I like it. I was actually wondering if the hole was military though? A heater, or something? The edges are very smooth (which in my experience with FD mods, is not normally the case), and completely round. At least, that is how it feels just reaching up back there. It is hard to get your hand there, as there is some sort of guard plate that looks original and is mounted under the spot.

Edit:
Here are some more photos. The first 3 show skidplates, then the undercoating, then this strange loop on the dash (any ideas?), then the plate on the dash, followed by this weird thing in the glovebox. It is a pipe cap, drilled out so that it could be attached to the glovebox... with a bolt in plug on the inside. It has some sort of weird putty in it... it is soft and kind of grainy....seems like wood glue. Anyone run across this or have a clue why someone would do it? 20141116_125910.jpg20141116_125748.jpg20141116_125924.jpg20141116_125826.jpg20141116_130342.jpg20141116_130330.jpg20141116_130451.jpg20141116_130455.jpg20141116_130725.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Looks like you have the fording cable in the dash, so I will bet the engine has all the fording parts on it. very lucky to even have the plug for the bell housing while fording!
I have all the parts to build the M38A1C, to include a nice 106 recoilless rifle here. The jeep I am using does not have the best body, but runs great.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The strange loop on the dash is the military's anti-theft system. A chain through it around the shifter. I can't remember if MD shifters are close enough to the dash for the padlock to go directly around the shifter.

Mac53

Clinto- That makes sense. I think I have seen that on USMC M37s before.

Frank- I assumed the fording cable was pretty standard. I have it on my M37 as well. What parts should I look for under the hood that would be from the kit?

wilfreeman

The strange loop on the dash is the military's anti-theft system. A chain through it around the shifter. I can't remember if MD shifters are close enough to the dash for the padlock to go directly around the shifter.
I have 2 links of chain attached to the bottom of my dash - a padlock will fit around my shifter through the last link. I can't seem to pull up the pics on my phone, so I can't see the setup in question.

FrankUSMC

Mac
You need to get the manuals, it will show every thing on fording. I have several sets here if you need to borrow one.

wilfreeman

Mac
You need to get the manuals, it will show every thing on fording. I have several sets here if you need to borrow one.
I agree - you need to get all of the manuals. You can download them for free over on willysmjeeps.com. I didn't see any 'a1 manuals (only m38) in the steel soldiers tm library.

saddamsnightmare

February 22nd, 2015.

On your builders/dash plate, Army Ordnance supplied the vehicles to the USMC, and likely the parts for them also. Admittedly there were differences between the USMC and standard Army jeeps as noted above, mostly as they were delivered with the bumper end lift rings, and usually had the fording kits already installed. I had a USMC M422A1 from 1961 (SN 2043) and it and the manuals were marked US Army Ordnance Corps as issuing agency.

Congratulations on your M38A1!:D

dmetalmiki

What a great winter project. And lucky not to be missing the rear seat (like ours was). Your collection is steadily growing. post progress with pictures please.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks