• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Ten Ton Toy M813

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the M813 I bought from JD in September. Been wrenching on her for a few months. Solved some problems, created a few more and although she's not on the road yet, I'm having a blast.

But everyone wanted pics so here we go. She started life with the Air Force in Georgia, was transferred to Bradley and last saw service with the Connecticut Air National Guard. She's pretty clean forward of the center axle. Good paint, belts, hoses, brake lines, little apparent damage. Most of the damage is aft of the center axle and can be attributed to her service as a chloride truck for the Town of New Marlborough, Massachusetts. What, an occasional wash down was too much for them?! Rotted wheel wells, drivers floor (replaced) and the tailgate fell off in my arms...I was 6'3".
Built a new cover for the battery box, cobbled together a spin on Wix fuel filter and water separator Rube Goldberg assembly, replaced the fuel hoses before finding out the reason she wouldn't run was because of the pickup tube had rotted out. Go figure, it was steel. Both JD and Big Mike found that "odd" as in their experiance it's either brass or copper. Replaced the pickup tube, she still has a hesitation, but at least it's NOT the new copper tube!
Flushed the tank of 25 gallons of red diesel, most of which I lost after finding, to late, the leak in the weld of the brand new Vevor transfer tank I'd bought! Replaced the passenger side rear light, which was full of water. JD assured me this was an Air Force vehicle and not Navy. Installed seat belts, backup lights, a beeper, dual battery switch, a 24 to 12 volt inverter and accessory fuse box. Reset the parking brake and am working on the windshield wipers, air is pissing out of the control valve. Also looking into rigging the forward parking lights to stay on after the service lights are turned on...wire 491 to 40? and installing a 12 Volt windshield defroster. The power steering leaks, but is responding to leak repair fluid and now the voltmeter's not working, but at least she's under a tent for some winter wrenching.

Project Introduction
Fuel system diagnoses
Fuel system repair
Parking Brake Reset
Tactical Repair parking light mod

2.jpg
3.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
9.jpg
12.jpg

Attachments

Superthermal

Looks Great! Fun stuff! I very much like the M813 ;) Best wishes on your progress. Here in Utah we have salt that is dumped onto the roads which eats everything. I found on a FJ40 I owned for 20 years that POR15 paint was amazing for rust areas. Could be an excellent base layer over the "battle torn" rear sections of your rig.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks