• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Name that missing relay

Whitfield

I am missing the two GREY relays beside the doghead mod (starter relay).

I've been chasing TM's / harness schematics for 1.5hrs = no joy.

Also of concern is one of them runs wires up to what looks like an exposed resistor (may be labeled Anode / cathode on schematic). I'm concerned that this is just floating with exposed leads behind the dash.

Almost found the answer here...

[FONT=&quot]CUCVs have an extra starter relay under the dash. It is known to either rust and not work making the truck not start or to stick in the on position letting the starter run until the wiring harness or the starter itself burns up and is permanently damaged. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-The relay is mounted to the plate that the big plug is mounted to under the edge of the dash next to the 4WD lever. It is the bigger silver relay next to two black relays. Its purpose is to switch the 12v single from the ignition switch to 24v to trigger the 24volt starter. It has four wires plugged into it, The red wire is 24 volt feed. Solid purple goes to the starter. Black is ground. Purple with white stripe is the ignition feed. You can unplug these and jump the red to the purple and start the truck in an emergency. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Whitfield

Info for proper gauge function once I find a 24v relay. (I'll never find it again).

The red/yellow/green/red military voltage gauge is really pretty neat. I can't remember which TM has this listed out, but one of them for one of my trucks does. Pretty much, here is what the colors mean.

Low red= below 18 volts

yellow=18-25 volts

green=25.2-30 volts with the little tick in the green at 28.8 volts.

upper red = above 30 volts.

Just turning the key on with good batteries should be in the upper yellow because 25.2 is what two fully charged batteries are supposed to be. This is basically what the yellow/green line shows. The glow plugs pull a lot and will drop the gauge down to mid yellow normally.

BIG_RED

Those are common relays on GM stuff. I have a bag of them I got at a wrecker. Any run-of-the-mill 12volt relay from gm that fits in the socket should work fine. Shouldn't matter that it switches 24volts.

If in doubt check the schematic diagram on the side of the relays to confirm that the pinout is the same.

Whitfield

Thanks for the help guys. I picked up (2) GM relays for now.

I'm beginning to navigate the TM's successfully but it takes hrs to find the answer im looking for. I was trying to get my new truck road worthy today and just didn't have the extra time to dedicate to sifting thru more TM's. I'm hoping to make the truck my daily driver for next week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks