• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

national club for MVs?

TMOMW

Hello all

i am NOT here to start a fight, and please remove if not allowed.

I have a legitimate question

Does the hobby need, or demand a new national organization representing military vehicle owners?

First of all I was a member of the current national club for years until I quit, I have had stories printed in the magazine, I love the membership, and only have issues with the current board of directors.. like so many of you. AND like so many of you want to belong to a national club that that CAN and WANTS to do something to grow and protect the hobby.

It’s quite clear that the current national club is not doing it, they are now REFUSING to help ANYONE with NAYTHING to do with helping change laws or representing the hobby ANYPLACE (federal, state, or local). I just got an email from the BOD saying that. No national group is putting on conventions right now (AM general and the Studebaker assn. have taken that over, from what I have found out). There are no board minuets, no finance reports, no attendance, or membership from 2018 posted. the printed publication is currently in limbo (after board members stepped down), and the FB and other sites are far out of date… if you look at the web site right now it looks like 30% of the board has jumped ship…

Now I’m NOT coming at this from hate or anything else other than I need help. I have had great success with passing laws at federal, state, and local levels. I have helped others do the same…. BUT I can’t do it alone and now there IS NO group helping in any way nationally. And I DO NOT WANT TO BE PRESIDENT or anything like that. I would just like to see another group form that I could work with.

Let’s face it, in 2018 they had about 4000ish members (loosing nearly 1100 the prior year), and now with falling numbers they recently stated they have 3800 members, really? how? How many paid members do they have? Is the hobby going to be ok with them going to friends and family or cratering prior to someone stepping up to save the hobby…?

I will tell you that without myself and a handful of others (2-3) in about 7-10 states you would not be able to drive your MVs at all. I have gotten 5 laws or rules changed at the state level and 5 laws or rules changed at the federal level.. this is while the national club has been ACTIVLY fighting against me. im not looking for anything, no money, nothing... but am i wasting my time if the national club now refuses to fight and is ok with crushing MVs, not letting them be driven, or even owned? all green vehicles matter, no matter the year, the service, or condition. or at least thats the way i see it (along with a bunch of you) .

And next year the state highway assn. IS recommending that ALL MVs be categorized as golf carts… there is going to be a nation-wide push by states to implement this rule ( i think the NJ DMV is leading it) .. I and others have seen the draft, and I can’t fight that by myself.

Again, this is a question… I don’t have all the answers, I’m just tired of fighting alone or against an org that is supposed to represent us owners.

INFChief

Hello all

Does the hobby need, or demand a new national organization representing military vehicle owners?

First of all I was a member of the current national club for years until I quit, I have had stories printed in the magazine, I love the membership, and only have issues with the current board of directors.. like so many of you. AND like so many of you want to belong to a national club that that CAN and WANTS to do something to grow and protect the hobby.

It’s quite clear that the current national club is not doing it, they are now REFUSING to help ANYONE with NAYTHING to do with helping change laws or representing the hobby ANYPLACE (federal, state, or local). I just got an email from the BOD saying that. No national group is putting on conventions right now (AM general and the Studebaker assn. have taken that over, from what I have found out). There are no board minuets, no finance reports, no attendance, or membership from 2018 posted. the printed publication is currently in limbo (after board members stepped down), and the FB and other sites are far out of date… if you look at the web site right now it looks like 30% of the board has jumped ship…

Now I’m NOT coming at this from hate or anything else other than I need help. I have had great success with passing laws at federal, state, and local levels. I have helped others do the same…. BUT I can’t do it alone and now there IS NO group helping in any way nationally. And I DO NOT WANT TO BE PRESIDENT or anything like that. I would just like to see another group form that I could work with.

Let’s face it, in 2018 they had about 4000ish members (loosing nearly 1100 the prior year), and now with falling numbers they recently stated they have 3800 members, really? how? How many paid members do they have? Is the hobby going to be ok with them going to friends and family or cratering prior to someone stepping up to save the hobby…?

I will tell you that without myself and a handful of others (2-3) in about 7-10 states you would not be able to drive your MVs at all. I have gotten 5 laws or rules changed at the state level and 5 laws or rules changed at the federal level.. this is while the national club has been ACTIVLY fighting against me. im not looking for anything, no money, nothing... but am i wasting my time if the national club now refuses to fight and is ok with crushing MVs, not letting them be driven, or even owned? all green vehicles matter, no matter the year, the service, or condition. or at least thats the way i see it (along with a bunch of you) .

And next year the state highway assn. IS recommending that ALL MVs be categorized as golf carts… there is going to be a nation-wide push by states to implement this rule ( i think the NJ DMV is leading it) .. I and others have seen the draft, and I can’t fight that by myself.

Again, this is a question… I don’t have all the answers, I’m just tired of fighting alone or against an org that is supposed to represent us owners.
As a new guy to the MV world I hadn’t given much thought to joining any national organization. The time I spent reflecting on it was from the prospective of the benefit of getting affordable insurance.

Could you explain the golf cart classification piece?

Creating a legal entity is easy. The difficult part is getting like minded people to agree on the structure; (articles of incorporation & bylaws, etc.), prudent & lawful stewardship of organizational funds (NRA debacle comes to mind), and having sufficient people who would be willing to serve on committees & actually do something besides flap their gums.

I don’t know how any MV National organizations are structured but I am frankly against any compensation other than for bonafide business activities; unless abs until membership reached a certain threshold and the organization needed a full time administrator.

Any group / club / assembly of people need to have rules but bureaucracy at its finest (State & Federal legislative bodies is a perfect example) is repugnant. It sickens me how some people in certain position conveniently forget about the true purpose of their duties and turn it in to a quest of personal importance.

Is there a need for a viable MV Organization? Yep. But after reading what we’ve both written it makes me want to remain at arms-length. People suck.

TMOMW

As a new guy to the MV world I hadn’t given much thought to joining any national organization. The time I spent reflecting on it was from the prospective of the benefit of getting affordable insurance.

Could you explain the golf cart classification piece?

Creating a legal entity is easy. The difficult part is getting like minded people to agree on the structure; (articles of incorporation & bylaws, etc.), prudent & lawful stewardship of organizational funds (NRA debacle comes to mind), and having sufficient people who would be willing to serve on committees & actually do something besides flap their gums.

I don’t know how any MV National organizations are structured but I am frankly against any compensation other than for bonafide business activities; unless abs until membership reached a certain threshold and the organization needed a full time administrator.

Any group / club / assembly of people need to have rules but bureaucracy at its finest (State & Federal legislative bodies is a perfect example) is repugnant. It sickens me how some people in certain position conveniently forget about the true purpose of their duties and turn it in to a quest of personal importance.

Is there a need for a viable MV Organization? Yep. But after reading what we’ve both written it makes me want to remain at arms-length. People suck.
last year the assn of dmv (yes there is a thing) came out with a nation wide recommendation on many motor vehicle issues, last year they took specific aim at MVs. its simple they have them in there sights, and they want them off the road. its a powerful group.. and at some point we will need to fight them.. that simple.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all

Is this a non-profit corporation? I haven't looked to see if the national is or not. Somehow, I would imagine that there are bylaws (especially if they are non-profit) and those and the minutes of meetings should be available to the membership. Not sure that somebody off the street can demand to see the minutes, but immediately on membership - that problem would be solved.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One reason problems of ownership arise is lots of folks think we like to play army with an attitude.

This extracts down to the gun ownership thing unfortunately--it equates to them.

I've run into this ever since my first MV back in the early 70's.

How many of us exibit at gun shows? How many of us wear camo when driving our MV's?

So we're asking for that strong opinion with the optics present.

I don't give one whit about the above actions, Hell, I've done it now and then.

This is not my spin on freedom, liberty, or anything negative. It is, however, what we're up against to the 'non-believers'. It's all about image.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks