• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need 100 amp alternator voltage regulator

Duckworthe

I had my voltage regulator go out on my Niehoff alternator. I have the unit in the shop but can't test the Alt without the regulator. Does anyone have one they will sell me? I'm unable to move my truck until I get this replaced. Pic attached. Thank you and let me know as soon as possible if anyone can help me out of this bind I'm in. I would be also interested in a new or used 100 amp alt/regulator combo. I don't need the 250amp upgrade unit though. Just need to get the truck back running to finish my trip. Thank you all. You can call me as that is better, I don't have WIFI where I am located.
Eric 619-952-4337

IMG_1775 alt regulator.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those N3030 units are hard to find. The N3207 units with the led's can be found but they won't plug in. If you are stuck far from home, plan b could be a cheapo gas generator with a battery charger.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I can look tomorrow see if I have one kickin around. Most alt shops don't understand the mil alternators and don't put 24v to the regulator excite terminal when testing it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
2 terminals on regulator. 24v excite/regulation and ac which is an ac output and should not be used on a first gen truck. Unless you are driving a tach with it. But that's a separate discussion.

coachgeo

2 terminals on regulator. 24v excite/regulation and ac which is an ac output and should not be used on a first gen truck. Unless you are driving a tach with it. But that's a separate discussion.
So if it is out of truck (or has tach or something on other lug when installed)... the 24v excite/regulation is the one furthest from the cannon plug or one Next to it?

Duckworthe

Superman,
I have a question for you. My alt had two connections made to the reg before I took it off. However the rear ring terminal was a very poor connection, please see picture.. I repaired the connection and put it back into place. My truck doesn't have a tach and is your basic 1078 truck. Alt worked fine prior. after a few miles the regulator overheated. Is it because of that rear wire? Should I not reconnect it? I don't know where that wire goes into the truck, maybe just behind the dash to an unused plug for installing a tach? Wonder if this connection made my issue! IMG_1676 (2).jpg
Sorry it is upside down!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The yellow connection , marked as AC, is actually an AC voltage output off the alternator. If the wire connected to it is rubbing metal or shorted somewhere I could see it causing problems. You can use this output to drive a tach. The factory tach, if installed, is not driven off this terminal though. I advise everyone to disconnect and tape up the wire going to the AC terminal and not to use it. Unless you are running an aftermarket tach. And then you should run a new wire to it not use the factory wiring.

mechanicjim

The yellow connection , marked as AC, is actually an AC voltage output off the alternator. If the wire connected to it is rubbing metal or shorted somewhere I could see it causing problems. You can use this output to drive a tach. The factory tach, if installed, is not driven off this terminal though. I advise everyone to disconnect and tape up the wire going to the AC terminal and not to use it. Unless you are running an aftermarket tach. And then you should run a new wire to it not use the factory wiring.
Suprman on a N3030 the rear terminal is not AC!!!!! its is F- (Field Sense) below is a link for the Trouble shooting guide for the Early 100 Amp(N1506) that used the N3030 the Later N1509/N1511 and N3207 switched that terminal over to AC later on so yes you are correct to leave it disconnected,

Duckworthe you can use the guide to pin to pin test to see if field coil/ Diodes are good and you can do this without being hooked up to truck.

http://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/TG0018A_uid12172009221392.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks