• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need a quick answer, 10k input seal replacment

whyme

still cant get into the TM section and the searches didnt yeild me anything except a small exploded diagram with no information except on the seals themselves.

just removed and replaced the input shaft seal on my garwood 10K and im at a dilema. the aluminum plate that the seal is pressed into bolts on with the 4 bolts as we know, but isnt there supposed to be a gasket between the plate and the winch housing? mine had none but rather a ring that looked like it could have been an oring at one time (just a stain on the metal) and a bit of what seemed like wax. no gaskets, no dicernable o ring, no sealer that i could make out.

there was so much crud in there i cant be sure but i just wanted to check before i use rtv on it. sorry to ask a seemingly obvious question.

Dan

whyme

thank you, i may try rtv for now but honestly im afraid to get it in the bearing, then again it was full of some nasty crud so rtv probably wouldnt be the worst of it. ill calll about the gasket in the morning.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll need to set your end play. When I put my winch back together I used RTV. When I tightened the bolts the winch locked up. I ended up having to use two gaskets (that I made myself) to get the winch to turn freely. You may can get by with using RTV but the bearings were too tight on mine. Whatever you use, make sure your winch turns freely or doesn't have a bunch of end play after you tighten the bolts.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked in the -34 TM. The TM calls for .005" end play on the shaft. Add or remove gaskets to get the correct end play.

Personally, I wouldn't fool with the dial indicator. Just adjust it where you can feel a little movement in and out when you turn the shaft back and forth.

smoke

You can take a old shoe box lid make a template of cover and cut it out still would use a little rtv. It cheaper then buying a gasket sometimes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks