• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a TM or answer for a 16b question.

mightymanx

Hey smart generator folks I am looking for the TM or answer to this.

I have a pair of Yanmar powered 16b's with a slave cable attachment to provide the 24v to use the electric start.

My question is do these generators make power indigenously for there own loads, or do you have to use the 24v slave system to provide that power?

The fuel pump that transfers from the big lower tank to the small upper tank don't work on either gen. Both work fine otherwise, so I am reluctant to rip into them for somthing that is a minor inconvience.

Isaac-1

The generators should make their own power and have their own battery, the slave port is there to jump start the generator, the amount of DC power they make is minimal (5 amps or so) therefore they are of limited use as a charging source for a dead truck battery. The generator you have is no longer considered a MEP-016b if it has been converted with a Yanmar engine. A MEP-016A or 016C gasoline generator that has been converted with a Yanmar becomes a MEP-016D and a MEP-016b that has been converted with a Yanmar becomes a MEP-016E. I have not seen manuals online that cover the Yanmar convesion, and have read they have not yet been released for public use.

Ike

mightymanx

Ok thanks It's a Yanmar diesel but there is no provisions for a battery no place to mount it or any associated cabling for a battery, that is why I am still slightly confused.

The engine has provision for electric start but there seems to be no "electical out" from the engine unless it is some kind of backfeed from through the starter wiring. I did not want to remove the engine and trar it appart to find the magneto and then trace it out.

I did get a Yanmar owners manual but it contained nothing pertinant. The level limit switches on the gravity tank had good continuity. I don't have the slave cable to try and provide external power to it. so I am kind of stumped unless some one knows here or I start tearing it appart.

coyotegray

I can't be lucky enought to be the only person to get a generator like this, not to mention twice.

Can I?

I have two on a M116 trailer with ASKs.

Here is the Yanmar parts manual for the engine only..
You can look at the data plate on the engine for its model..

http://dawinfo.com/L-AE-Series-Parts/L40AE-100AE-Parts-Complete.pdf

FYI, They take a (one) special 24V battery.... It goes next to the fuel tank..

http://www.usbattery.com/usb_us%204hn_mil.html

You can start the engine with the pull start but you may not get power since your not flashing the gens field.

Last edited:

mightymanx

Which fuel tank? The upper or lower I don't see brackets wires or anything where a battery could or would go.

that is the crazy thing I am starting to think I am a tard and I am usualy quite clever with all things mechanical and electrical, especialy when you put them together. But this is kicking my butt.

I will work on trying to get some pictures but I lost the camera in the divorce and no camera phone due to working in a secure area so it might take a bit to borrow one.

coyotegray

Which fuel tank? The upper or lower I don't see brackets wires or anything where a battery could or would go.

that is the crazy thing I am starting to think I am a tard and I am usualy quite clever with all things mechanical and electrical, especialy when you put them together. But this is kicking my butt.

I will work on trying to get some pictures but I lost the camera in the divorce and no camera phone due to working in a secure area so it might take a bit to borrow one.
Yes, we need pics..

coyotegray

Ok, well you can probably ignore most everything I posted.
That conversion is totally different than what I have...
Must be because it was converted from gas to diesel.
What I have was diesel before it was converted to
a Yanmar engine...

Get them running.. Yanmar's are good engines.
Im betting they will run great when started with batteries...

Last edited:

mightymanx

They run perfect now with one yank of the pullstarter. Almost broke my hand the first time I did now that that little red lever on top released the compression and the engine kicked back and pulled my hand right into the upright of the cage. my hand was kaput for 2 weeks.

But they run great I can pull 5500 wats off of them. but the fuel transfer pumps don't work from the lower tank to the upper tank so I have to fill it every hour when running.

coyotegray

They run perfect now with one yank of the pullstarter. Almost broke my hand the first time I did now that that little red lever on top released the compression and the engine kicked back and pulled my hand right into the upright of the cage. my hand was kaput for 2 weeks.

But they run great I can pull 5500 wats off of them. but the fuel transfer pumps don't work from the lower tank to the upper tank so I have to fill it every hour when running.
Is the upper tank full?
How low have you let it get..?

Do they (Pumps) run at all..? Make noise..?

Does the control pannel have a master switch that looks like this..?

Attachments

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Ok, if yours is like the one in the photos are manual rope start gasoline MEP-016a or c's that have been converted with a Yanmar diesel. The MEP-016b was a very different beast as it had electric start only, and a 1 cylinder Onan Diesel, the frame was different, the panel different, about the only thing in common was the generator end.

Ike

mightymanx

Is the upper tank full?
How low have you let it get..?

Do they (Pumps) run at all..? Make noise..?

Does the control pannel have a master switch that looks like this..?
-I have let them run dry

-no signs of life at all nothing.

-no controls of any kind.

mightymanx

Ok, if yours is like the one in the photos are manual rope start gasoline MEP-016a or c's that have been converted with a Yanmar diesel. The MEP-016b was a very different beast as it had electric start only, and a 1 cylinder Onan Diesel, the frame was different, the panel different, about the only thing in common was the generator end.

Ike
Mine are exactly like the ones in the picture.

any books for those? the yanmar engine owners manual was zero help it looks like the fuel pump was an add on to move fuel from the lower tank to the upper. just need to figure out what powers it.

coyotegray

Mine are exactly like the ones in the picture.

any books for those? the yanmar engine owners manual was zero help it looks like the fuel pump was an add on to move fuel from the lower tank to the upper. just need to figure out what powers it.
In other MEP Diesel generators the AUX pump is only powered when the master control is set to RUN/AUX and the fuel flow is controlled by a solenoid valve that is activated by a float switch..

I have absolutely no idea how yours may be setup.

Is the fuel from the top tank just gravity fed to the engine or does it have a pump of some kind..? If it has a pump you could just connect the fuel line directly to the bottom tank...

I guess the first place I would start would be to put a meter on the power lead to the pump and see if it's getting anything.... and so on...

Can you see a data plate on the engine with a model..?

Andy..

mightymanx

The top tank is gravity fed to the engine and there is a transfer pump. theat is in the second to last picture it it is a tiny cyl. that sits below the starter.

no master switch to speak of there is only one switch and that is the one by the slave cable socket. all you do to start it is open the throttle with a screw hold down and pull th ecord and it runs if there is fuel in the top tank.

I got no voltage at the fuel pump this is why I was wondering if the engine makes voltage at all or you needed to hook up via the slave cable socket to provide it.

I will get the label plate data there is not much other than the gen head plate in the picture above and the Yanmar data plate that says how much HP it has i will look for another one.

Thanks for all your help.

ATV

I have 2 of these generators with auxiliary pumps. One is manual start and the other is electric start. They both supply their own power to run the pumps. Have you tried opening the petcocks on the sediment bowl. They will pump no fuel if they are not open.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks