• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help finding correct tie rod for M1009

85CUCVtom

I'm replacing a bunch of the front end components on my Blazer rust wagon before I get a new set of rubber. Darn near every tie rod has excessive play in the joint and I want to alignment.

My problem is that I cant find the tie rod at my local parts stores. I referenced the TM and it comes back with a left and right tie rod end, the adjustment sleeve and a center adjusting tube. Mine has a one-piece drivers side rod end that runs all the way to the adjustment sleeve on the passenger side. I can't seem to find this part anywhere! I feel like I'm missing something or maybe I'm just losing it altogether aua

Anybody have any tips?

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm replacing a bunch of the front end components on my Blazer rust wagon before I get a new set of rubber. Darn near every tie rod has excessive play in the joint and I want to alignment.

My problem is that I cant find the tie rod at my local parts stores. I referenced the TM and it comes back with a left and right tie rod end, the adjustment sleeve and a center adjusting tube. Mine has a one-piece drivers side rod end that runs all the way to the adjustment sleeve on the passenger side. I can't seem to find this part anywhere! I feel like I'm missing something or maybe I'm just losing it altogether aua

Anybody have any tips?

View attachment 722762

View attachment 722763
Looks like someone put the wrong one on there? Lools like the "all except M1009" one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Bighorn

View attachment 722764

Found this.
Actually never realized they made that middle version.
Been lucky that mine have never worn out.
Now, how do you fix it?
Can that left tie rod be replaced?

Last edited:

Bighorn

I found kits on ebay that include the entire tire rod with a new tie rod end on the left and adjustable on the right.
About $125.
Either that or hit the wrecking yard.

rodent

Should be the same tie rod for the Civi 84 K5 Blazer correct?

I'm going to upgrade my tie rod with something stronger. ORD and a few others sells a nice thick DOM tie rod kit with the two short ends. Also requires a clamp for the stabilizer.

Bighorn

I'm going to upgrade my tie rod with something stronger. ORD and a few others sells a nice thick DOM tie rod kit with the two short ends. Also requires a clamp for the stabilizer.
My civy 76 k5 has an identical tierod arrangement to my 86 m1009.
But i like your idea to upgrade.
That ORD stuff is rad.

85CUCVtom

Looks like someone put the wrong one on there? Lools like the "all except M1009" one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I considered that but my only doubt in that scenario would be the size of the tapers matching on a 10-bolt knuckle vs. a Dana 60 knuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorn

Mine had a Dana44 which I swapped for the 10 bolt.
You got a dana 60 under your Blazer?
Your picture shows a 10 bolt for sure.

85CUCVtom

View attachment 722764

Found this.
Actually never realized they made that middle version.
Been lucky that mine have never worn out.
Now, how do you fix it?
Can that left tie rod be replaced?
No the left rod joint is part of that long assembly. If the left joint goes bad, the whole part up the the adjustment sleeve must be replaced.

85CUCVtom

I did a little more searching after I posted the thread. I this might be the route I’m taking. ORD makes a great product. I think they even make a tie rod kit that utilizes stock-style tire rod ends and not heim joints.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ACDelco Part Number 46A3010A is the left side, 46A0274A is the right side, and the sleeve is 46A6011A.

Last edited:

85CUCVtom

Yeah ord, # gu9014d44-stock. For the price I kinda like their tie rod ends also. Might require more greasing though.
I’m probably going to order the Offroad Designe ride ends and tie rod this week. I’ll be sure to post a review and lots of pictures.

85CUCVtom

I received my Offroad Design tie rod, rod ends and steering stabilizer mount yesterday. Expect a review and write-up in the near future. It will post over in the hot rodding and modifying forum.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I received my Offroad Design tie rod, rod ends and steering stabilizer mount yesterday. Expect a review and write-up in the near future. It will post over in the hot ridding and modifying forum.

With a modification like that I think it belongs in the street rod forum. That will surely add 100 HP:) Does this modification move the tie rod end to the back side or up higher on the axle. Every GM 4WD I ever had I bent the tie rod end. Dumbest place in the world to put it on a 4WD. Right up front and low. Every time I bend one I have to get a front end alignment and am fearful of weakening the link when I straighten it. Have a Great Day.

Last edited by a moderator:

85CUCVtom

With a modification like that I think it belongs in the street rod forum. That will surely add 100 HP Does this modification move the tie rod end to the back side or up higher on the axle. Every GM 4WD I ever had I bent the tie rod end. Dumbest place in the world to put it on a 4WD. Right up front and low. Every time I bend one I have to get a front end alignment and am fearful of weakening the link when I straighten it. Have a Great Day.
No, it’s not a high steer set-up. I wouldn’t waste my time with that on a 10 bolt axle.

It’s a much nicer quality product than the OE style components. 1.25 x 0.25 wall tubing is more than strong enough for anything I’ll be doing with the truck.

And I would think it belongs in the modification forum because it’s an aftermarket modification.

Last edited:

D6T

ACDelco Part Number 46A3010A is the left side, 46A0274A is the right side, and the sleeve is 46A6011A.
I am about to tackle my passenger side tie rod end...are those numbers good for fitting the OEM tie rod?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks