• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help identifying a 6.5 Engine

danoscooter

I won a lot from GL a while back that claimed that it was a 1997 6.5L. I just wanted to verify that for myself because after all we all know how accurate the GL info is.

The block casting is 12555506 on the driver side of the block but on the passenger side it really hard to decipher. It looks like 4 numbers followed by a letter hard to tell though.

In the valley there is a N W followed by two triangles butted up together. It has 506 on each wall of the valley as well, so I know that it is a 506 block.

Any help would be appreciated!

Daniel

Attachments

danoscooter

I guess what I'm really wondering is if it is a good block. I have read that there are good 506's and really bad ones. I'm also questioning how GL got the 1997 as the year.

Thanks for the links, I have already checked those out.

Daniel

Stonepicker1

I won a lot from GL a while back that claimed that it was a 1997 6.5L. I just wanted to verify that for myself because after all we all know how accurate the GL info is.

The block casting is 12555506 on the driver side of the block but on the passenger side it really hard to decipher. It looks like 4 numbers followed by a letter hard to tell though.

In the valley there is a N W followed by two triangles butted up together. It has 506 on each wall of the valley as well, so I know that it is a 506 block.

Any help would be appreciated!

Daniel
On the passenger flange there is a Julian date. The first character is month (A=1 and so on) the second two are day, and the fourth character is the year

danoscooter

On the passenger flange there is a Julian date. The first character is month (A=1 and so on) the second two are day, and the fourth character is the year
The picture I posted is of the passenger flange area. It just looks like it starts off with two sets of numbers followed by a possible letter.

Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping I didn't pick up a motor that would be more prone to cracking.

Daniel

danoscooter

After scraping more on the date code it looks like 06 09 K, which would translate Month/Day/Year or June 9th, 2003.

Somewhere online I read the years start with H for 2001, skip I then J for 2002, K for 03 and so on.

So it looks like the GL listing was off by six years which is ok with me!

Daniel

Stonepicker1

Do you have the Diamond's in the valley ? you should if it's a 2003 build. That would be a very good block.
I didn't bid because of the 1997 listing....aua
Good score....are you going to Hot start it in the can? or install and take your chances?

danoscooter

Yes it has the diamonds in the valley. Was definitely dumb luck! I thought it was the 97 block until I saw a Navistar 2005 6.5 listed in the classifieds. The pictures were the same as mine and the description was the same stating that it included rebuild papers and dyno readings. Thats what made me question what I had.

I probably should ground hop it but the paperwork I have said it was dyno'd April 2011. Then again I am getting tired or learning things the hard way so I think a ground hop is in order!

Daniel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks