• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need inspection by law officer in Virginia for SF97

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I inherited a messy situation. Ethan (aka builder77) bought a 1970 M35A2C and then a 1987 one. He sold the first to a likeable guy in MA (scooter01922), but didn't title the second one before his untimely death in 2008. I was given a title by DMV and thought it was for the one here in Richmond (actually north Chesterfield county). Not so, it was for the 1970 deuce. Now, three years later I am ready to get it registerd and learn that there is no title for it. There is also a trailer with the same problem.

So now, to get a SF97 from Govt Liquidation I need to have a DMV or law enforcement officer verify in writing that the VIN is the same as on the bill of sale. I can't find anything on the VA DMV website about getting this inspection done, and the local Chester DMV was no help. How do I get the deuce and trailer inspected?

Robert Alexander
804-651-6110

Last edited:

ralbelt

I had to do this with a pov purchased out of state. Just took it to the cop shop and had it checked. Sometimes if you know an officer he will ride by and check it.

paulfarber

I had to do the same thing in PA with my CCKW. Just call the local State Police and ask them if they want you to drive to the barracks or if they want to come to your house. The PA Trooper came to my house. I already had a rubbing of the VIN and all he did was sign it with his Trooper info. Took it to a local place that submits registrations and there was a specific form that I had to fill out and staple the VIN tracing to.

That was it.

Nonotagain

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm of the understanding that Virginia does not accept SF97's for proof of ownership.
You may wish to contact one of the Maine trailer registration websites and see if they can be of help.
The SF97 would be assigned to GL, then to whom they sold it to which is where the hang up resides.
Virginia residents purchasing vehicles from GL aren't issued SF97's, they get a Florida title.

area52

You could also see if Virginia can issue a "bonded title". Basically tell them its a military truck that has never had a title before.

Here in NM the procedure is: get the VIN verified by LEO (state police do it for free here), take that paper work plus a title bond issued by an insurance company ( I got mine through Allstate cost $50.00) and a bill of sale to the DMV and talk very slowly while explaining what you trying to do. You might have to go to several different DMV locations until you get someone that knows how to do it.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your helpful repies, especially to bad_carp for supplying the DMV form. (I got sidetracked following your links. Great 109 camper!). I had searched the DMV site for "verification" and didn't find it. Now that I know the form number (VSA69) I again searched, and it is not on the current list of downloadable forms. But I will use it (even if obsolete) as it has that official look. The DMV form does not mention state police, only "DMV representative" but it certainly meets GL's section 31 terms and conditions. I hope that for $60 they will look back three years and find the correct paperwork.

The local DMV's supervisor (I spent hours there) called the needed form a GS97. But I expect they will accept a SF97, or the Florida title I may get. The deuce will qualify as an antique in four months, and it may take that long to get it titled.

Dave08

Bad_Carp gave you the form. Call the Sheriff's office and tell them that you need a deputy to come out and verify a VIN Number on a vehicle for registration purposes. Tell them that you can not drive the vehicle as it is not registered and legal to operate without the registration. The Deputy will come out and verify the VIN from the dash plate, write it on the form and then sign the form attesting to the VIN. Make sure that the Deputy prints his name and then signs and also places his Badge Number on the form as well. If he has a business card, get that from him also. Then take the form to the DMV and you should be able to register the vehicle(S). I had to do this with both my MVs here in Florida. Come to find out the LEO was a retired Master Sergeant. Needless to say, it took two hours to verify the VINs and I now have a new friend in the law enforcement community. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Dave08

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the DMV guy wanted the "GS97" form, I will first try to go through GS and get it. But I will wait another week. The county police are working overtime due to the recent hurricane, as many traffic lights are still out and they are directing traffic by hand signals.

Earthquake and hurricane, but no damage to vehicles or the house. A number of tree branches fell, and the place was covered with leaves, but no real problem. A tree across the street fell, and pulled down the power line for this subdivision. This area of perhaps 50 houses is still out of power. The power company says that 90% of customers in the Richmond area will have power by Saturday. We'll see.

Krogers grocery store sells dry ice, and so I was able to cool the refrigerator/freezer before too much melted. Nothing has spoiled to my knowledge. Dry ice sells for .99/lb and 20 pounds keeps the freezer/fridge cold for about two days. I bought a small electric inverter (they are in short supply) and have two automotive batteries and two deuce batteries I have kept charged. This is the power I am using for the computer and for a fluorescent light. When the batteries lose their charge I re-charge them by putting them in my truck bed and connecting them with jumper cables to the truck battery while I drive to a store. The only bothersome problem is only having cold water, but I improvised a solar water heater by having water go through two garden hoses (laying on some reflective sheeting) and down to the drain of the hot water heater. This was put into action this afternoon (motivated by a cold water shower) and does seem to work. It has raised the water in the tank to room temperature. By tomorrow afternoon it might even be warm.

Thanks again for the VIN verification form. I'll send another post after the deuce is inspected.

Thanks for your helpful repies, especially to bad_carp for supplying the DMV form. (I got sidetracked following your links. Great 109 camper!). I had searched the DMV site for "verification" and didn't find it. Now that I know the form number (VSA69) I again searched, and it is not on the current list of downloadable forms. But I will use it (even if obsolete) as it has that official look. The DMV form does not mention state police, only "DMV representative" but it certainly meets GL's section 31 terms and conditions. I hope that for $60 they will look back three years and find the correct paperwork.

The local DMV's supervisor (I spent hours there) called the needed form a GS97. But I expect they will accept a SF97, or the Florida title I may get. The deuce will qualify as an antique in four months, and it may take that long to get it titled.
Hi there,
I'm in VA and just won a GL auction for a trailer and wanted to know a couple things:

1) What did GL get you a) sf97 or b) FL Title?

2) Based on what you got from GL, what were your next steps (State Police verify VIN, etc.?)

Thanks in advance!
J

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks