• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need opinions on transmission choice

Crash_AF

Ok, I'm building my 1008 into a wrecker and am looking for opinions on which transmission to go with. I need a PTO port to drive the bed, but I have a 1008 without one. So I've been hunting for a 205, and haven't had much luck.

An opportunity to pick up a diesel 4L80E complete with standalone controller has come up. This would require me to still find a 205 and the necessary adapters to put it behind the 4L80, but is dirt cheap. Probably could get it all done for $1800-$2000

Other option is an NV4500 conversion, it would cost between $3000 and $4000 to get in a kit with all the parts I need. Feel a little bad about the idea of putting as much into the tranny as the truck is realistically worth.

Kinda torn about getting the 4L80 for as cheap as I've found it, but I haven't been able to find a 205 with the proper adapters for a 400 at all. Would certainly like the stick, especially the granny first for pulling... Any opinions?

Keith_J

You won't gain any lower gear with the 4L80, just overdrive which you won't need if you are slinging 2500 pounds with the wrecker. Keep the TH400. Get the 205 transfer case, ORD can get you the adapter. You also need crossmember and possibly the skidplate.

There are aftermarket adapters too, one you weld up in any position you need. But be careful, alignment of the transmission to transfer case can be an issue since welded adapters warp during welding. It would be best to have it trued after welding.

wayne pick

I agree with Keith. An overdrive auto trans is not really practical in a wrecker, and you don't see too many of them with an auto trans at all. If you are going with a manual trans, a plain old on the cheap Munce SM465 will do, but converting the pedals and all that is a PITA. Keep the TH400, and put a rear transfer case support on the 205. Check out www.trailtechfab.com/gallery , they make a neat transfer case mount to support the weight of the 205, and help eliminate the chance of the adapter or the transmission cracking.

Crash_AF

Well, getting to where I'm slinging up is going to be nicer with an overdrive. LOL I'm either going 4L80 or 4500... just a matter of which route.

This wrecker will be for me personally, and occasionally moving stuff for friends. I have no plans to make money with it, so it's just going to be another very cool green toy.

wayne pick

Sounds great. My friends kid has a trailer with an 8000# winch on it and does the same thing, hauling scrappers for some cash, and doing tows for friends. Makes some extra cash for his fuel drinking, tuned up 450 HP Duramax. Kids, LOL!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks