• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Some Help From You Military Truck Guys...

missionkraft

I need some info on a Spicer 6453 transmission common on the bigger 5 Ton military trucks...anyone familiar with them? My Autocar had a Spicer 6452 direct drive. My trucks never going back into serious work & so I decided to swap it for the 6453 which I was told was identical except gear ratios were faster & 5th gear OD instead of direct on the 6452.
So theres 4 or 5 fittings on the shift cover with plastic plugs in them. The 6452 doesnst have this & I have no idea what theyre for??
Any help greatly appreciated.
Here’s a picture of a 6453. Note the plastic cap plugs...what gets plumbed into here...what does it do & where can I get a schematic?
749E1697-E2C5-489B-9C45-1808B2D2610C.jpeg

fasttruck

The valving operates air controls that orient the transfer case as to which direction the transmission is going which is part of the all wheel drive process. This is why the transmission has to be in a gear that matches the direction of travel or you will wind up the sprag in the transfer case which is usually not a good thing. This is why it is difficult to put civi transmissions in these vehicles unless you are willing to sacrifice the all wheel drive and then what is the use of having one ?

missionkraft

Wow! (That says it all). Very impressive build...

I started on it thinking it wouldn’t be any more work than a passenger truck...just bigger parts.
I was wrong :)
It’s been a lot of work. Very difficult to find parts for and after a million or 2 miles rattling down the road...the amount of wear on everything in that time is just shocking.
At least I can see the end now.

missionkraft

Nice truck Mark.
Figured you were probably over here .
Tom
Welcome Marty this is Willy-N off the PW Site. Here is my new Toy 1995 M1078 2 1/2 ton. I am "JD4044M" on here my New John Deere Tractor's Model Number. MarkView attachment 822620
Hi Mark, good looking machine! You need a big water pump for it? :) You know me...nobody has more spare water pumps than me ;)
Marty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks