• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some input, just brainstorming up a filtration setup.

Loco_Hosa

I just got offered 250 gallons of WMO for free from a man I met at a barbeque who thought the Deuce was pretty savage. As it turns out its mostly out of bulldozers and such, but some of it is kind of old. He told me if I dont make a mess Im welcome to it!

Now, Im trying to make sure I do things in a cost effective way, but I have an idea of what I want to see. I would love suggestions on how to make it happen though.

After some reading I have seen people using sock filters, like you would use for a pool filter. I wish I had bookmarked that post, but I remember the person posting that he had found them as small as 1 micron, and he had said they were less than a dollar each, which I like the sound of! I am picturing the sock in clear canister assembly thing....

I also have read a few people mention a Napa filter that was like, 15 microns and had a water separator. If someone has the part number for this or some more information that would be useful before I start spending money, please and thank you!

I also have a mesh sock that was designed to fit over some perforated pipe my folks used for their back yard project, they had 150 feet of it left over and it was given to me. Its not a tight enough weave to use as the only filter, but it gets things like pine needles and big crap out of the way so my chosen filter lasts longer.

This is what I have pictured: I will most likely have to pump the oil from his drum to my own, and I will use 3 feet of the mesh sock thing over the mouth of my barrel, this will allow to pump it quickly while still getting large chunks out.

When I get home, I do not have a forklift to remove the barrels, so I will have to pump it from the truck to an empty barrel. When I do this I would like to filter it through a 20 micron sock, and the napa water separating filter before it is dumped into the barrel.

When I go to pump it back into the truck's tank down the road, I would like to pump it through the napa water separator again, and a 1 micron sock.

Some explanations about my trains of thought:
-The Napa filter that I am picturing is a spin on filter with the moisture separator on the bottom. This filter would be more expensive to change than the socks, all I really would need it for is separating the water.

-I want to filter to 1 micron if I can. Some of you say this is overkill. You may be right. I want to anyway ;)

Some of the things I am not sure about:
-I looked at the filter my parents use when they vacuum their pool, its a sock filter in a canister, but the hose fittings are very large, and I am not sure how I would transition from the Napa filter to the canister with the sock...

-Where do you buy the sock filters? Will my local pool supply store have them?

-What type of pump do most of you use? I have a setup that uses air pressure, but I know that is not the safest way to do it, and the potential for a mess is extreme.

-How horrible is a hand pump?

-Do any of you test the viscosity of your alternative fuels? (To make sure it isnt too thick) If so, How?

-Do you thin with Gasoline or Kerosine, which one, and why for?

Im going to harbor frieght, napa, and the pool suply store tomorrow. I hope to get more information and some prices, but I dont want to spend any money till I have aquired the oil. Just looking for suggestions and input, ya'll have been there and broken that already.

Also, please excuse any extremely stupid thoughts or questions. I am a power n00b when it comes to alt fuels.

'48Chevy6

The free oil part sounds killer, some of the rest is hard for an old man to follow.
If I get a new source of bulk oil that has sat for a while, I pump from the bottom into a barrel marked "bottom". If there is water in there, you'll find it at the bottom. We put 45 gallons oil into the drums as we collect. Then a week or so before we need fuel, we add five or so gallons of RUG, blend well, and let settle. The RUG, coupled with a couple days time, causes a lot of fallout and creates a nice sludgy settlement at the bottom of the drum. Then we pull from a couple inches off the bottom through our filter set up.

There are as many filter setups as there are souls brave enough to cause catastrophic failure and certain destruction of their equipment. With that said, when I used bag filters, even rated down to one micron, I changed onboard truck filters way too often. Now we vacuum through two whole house water filters (generously rated at 5 micron), then three more automotive filters. First a 22 micron with water separator, 15 micron, then 5 micron. All auto filters rated as absolute, which means 97% plus percent. The final 5 mic will usually last for 150 gallons or so. After we've replaced it a couple times, we replace all of the filters.

The fuel processed above gets used in my powerstroke. My sons deuce has three onboard filters, is much more tolerant of dirty fuel than my Ford. As such, there are certainly people who fuss much less with their fuel and have never killed their truck. When son first got his deuce on the road, we went to consult an old family friend who has been a Mack engineer level mechanic forever. His main voiced concern was to get the oil thin enough and clean enough to not harm the ip. The deuce will tolerate battlefield conditions, but should last longer with more care.

We use modified sbc pump to move oil. Put a piece of screen on the intake hose to keep chunks out.

Bag filters we used previously were from Duda Diesel.

Hand pump beats siphoning through a water hose, but I can't imagine liking it.

Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks