• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 1028 and Road Trip!

RedHeadTarn

Alright, Finally got around to everything that I've been meaning to do!
Bought a M1028 from a great guy on Craig's List who was being deployed to Texas and had 3 other vehicles already. This one was not currently running at the time, and he didn't have time to fix it, said his buddy told him it needed a new fuse box. Managed to tow it home, (and almost killed my jeep cherokee getting it up the hill) and started trouble shooting. Luckily it came with a copy of the original Unit Maintenance Manual. First thing I discovered was the batteries were hooked up in parallel, not in series. Fixed that, charged 'em both and turned the key.... Nothing. But I did have dash lights and seatbelt buzzers, etc. so I threw my meter on the batteries, and found that they were steadily draining. So I pulled all of the Fuses and started putting them back one by one. Found a short in the Ign control circuit, hunted around for a few days before getting frustrated and calling in a "real"mechanic. $200, 2 new batteries and 3 hours later, it started right up! drove around town for a few days and it seems to be running fine, but wanting to avoid common problems, I did Doghead's starter Relay mod, and wired in a starter kill switch as well, for a little theft-deterrent. Hooked up the off road lights, and bolted down the roll bar, and changed the oil, and it's Road Trip time!!! Time to fid out if it's do or die, for the 25 year old truck!

Attachments

RedHeadTarn

Part 2

So with some confidence in how it had been running, and the downing of my Jeep, My wife and I decided to take the new truck from Colorado springs, CO to Durango, CO a nice 500 mile or so trip each way, and to make it even more interesting, we would stop at the Great Sand Dunes, for an evening, and do it by going in the back way over Medano Pass. After filling the tank and adding some Lucas Fuel additive, we were off early on a saturday morning. With all of the Gauges showing proper readings, we hit the road. Beautiful weather and a Happy Dog, added to a nice morning of driving. Turned onto FR559 and began our trip up Medano pass. Other than being extremely bouncy because of the 4 - corner springs, the truck did great. Had to go into 4low for a couple of steep parts, when the weight of the truck was just too much for the engine, but no problems or funny noises. Stopped at the top of the pass for a quick picture, and kept on. Camped in the Natnl forest just outside the dunes park, and drove in the next morning. The truck had No problem in the sand, and I never even felt it slipping under the 35" Ground Hawgs. Continued on down the road towards Durango, with no problems. Slowed down to 25mph and 2nd gear going up wolf Creek Pass, and the Oil temp climbed up to about 210 but came right back down as we topped the Pass. Had a lovely couple of days in Durango with my new Neice ( 2 months old and nothing but eating and pooping) and it was time to head back. the trip back was uneventful, other than reaching my Top Speed for the trip, 72MPH on flat level ground just south of Alamosa. (Hit 78mph going down hill just south of Pueblo) The Truck ran great and had zero problems, for which I am eternally grateful. My wife and Dog and I all had a great time, and I give my regards to poor Mr. Fullen (whom I bought the truck from) for the great peice of work hed had to part with.

I'll try to post Milage from the trip in a day or so when I get all of my trash cleaned out of the cab, for anyone interested.

BTW, great Forum here... I've gotten loads of useful info so far and I expect it to continue. Thanks to everyone in advance!

:-D

Attachments

Crash_AF

Hello from another Co Springs CUCV owner... If you need any help with the truck, drop me a line. Or if you would just like to come by and look at other green iron, drop me a line... :)

Later,
Joe

RedHeadTarn

He ALWAYS has a good time, and he Loves the truck! The fuzzy padding you see is his seat belt harness that keeps him from falling out the window, so he knows he can lean way out. On the trip back his ears got a little tired of the road noise from those tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks