• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 887 owner

dstang97

Hi guys I'm from upstairs at the cucv and m35 forums. I picked up a m887 truck yesterday. The box is in great condition unfortunately the truck will be heading to the scrap yard it's very very rusty. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get replacement T handle latches for the box? Looking for a direct replacement.

MatthewH

Eberhard is the mfg, however that model latch is no longer in production. They do have several models that are close and can probably be easily modified to work.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear the box survived, too bad about the rest of the truck. Any luck in salvageable parts?

dstang97

Glad to hear the box survived, too bad about the rest of the truck. Any luck in salvageable parts?
I tried, but I get tired of dealing with people. I do not a lot of patientce with people. If anyone wants stuff pm me. It's getting scraped on Saturday morning

oddave715

Are you putting the bed on a trailer chassis or a different truck? I am fixing to put one Ina M101 chassis. Mine needs new T-handle latches as well. I have done some looking around but since the body isn't at my house I don't have measurements of the existing handles. I gotta get my trailer chassis ready first. If you find a match let us know what you come up with!

dstang97

Are you putting the bed on a trailer chassis or a different truck? I am fixing to put one Ina M101 chassis. Mine needs new T-handle latches as well. I have done some looking around but since the body isn't at my house I don't have measurements of the existing handles. I gotta get my trailer chassis ready first. If you find a match let us know what you come up with!
I'm working with customer service at eberhard to find a replacement. I really want to put it on a trailer but I do not think a m101 will hold up to the weight of tools and stuff. My m101 has a hard time with just a s250 shelter with brand new springs.

dstang97

Saw both of those threads. I love the m101 trailer but I don't think they will hold up to the task of the box plus tools even with a 2000 lbs capacity. Weight adds up quick. I bet if you made a custom leaf pack it may be a different story but then you have to worry about the front spring hanger as your weakest link. I think a modified m105 will be in the near future.

oddave715

I assume you are pulling with the truck in your avatar. If that is the case then the modified 105 will make sense. Just remember that you may need a stool to reach the top of your cabinets. I am pulling with a suburban most of the time and will not have air brake capabilities. Plus the less overall weight the better. I'm planning on using mine for carrying camping gear most of the time with occasional tool carrying duty. It will not carry a full tool load just the required tools for the job at hand. Good luck with your project! Oh and let us know what you find out on latches as I need nearly all new ones myself.

dstang97

I assume you are pulling with the truck in your avatar. If that is the case then the modified 105 will make sense. Just remember that you may need a stool to reach the top of your cabinets. I am pulling with a suburban most of the time and will not have air brake capabilities. Plus the less overall weight the better. I'm planning on using mine for carrying camping gear most of the time with occasional tool carrying duty. It will not carry a full tool load just the required tools for the job at hand. Good luck with your project! Oh and let us know what you find out on latches as I need nearly all new ones myself.
mostly tow with my cucv. It will be fine to use your box as a camper with the m101. I'm thinking of putting all my tools in mine. Generator, welder, torches, tool box full of tools, etc

oddave715

I want to keep my camping supplies in it. Maybe in totes or something to help keep mice and bugs out. Possibly a small generator up front. I just get tired of dragging stuff out and having to put it up when we get home. My oldest is a Cub Scout so we are car camping at least 2-3 times a year just with scouts. I don't have any plans or desires to do any modifying to the body. Though I do have an aluminum ladder rack sitting in the yard that would be great on top for a canoe rack and possibly a sleeping platform.

Are you keeping the original welder setup? I was worried about the M101A1 chassis I plan to use being stout enough. But I have hauled a lot of oak firewood in that trailer and some topsoil. Springs might need beefing a little and it would be pretty easy to brace up the A frame drawbar I think.

dstang97

So after looking at what I have bought this year I decided on running a m116a2. I will be buying a m116a3 later on in the week. I will put my mep002 on the new trailer and use my a2 trailer with the utility body. Plans are h1 rims and tires, and bastard pack leaf springs. I will put a link in this thread to my build thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks