• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Texas

rahl07

Hey guys, nice to meet all of you. I'm from Texas, the southeastern region to be precise. I've been wanting to get a MV for the past three or four years now, and now that I've got a stable job I'm looking into getting one. You guys seemed knowledgeable and friendly, from what I could see outside the forum so I figured I'd stop in.

I'm looking to get a M35A2/3, but am a bit lost as to where to start. Regardless, I've started my reading, and it's good to be a part of the community. Cheers.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy and welcome! The best place to start is always with the TM's for the vehicle you want. Then when you feel ready and have the cash it comes the hunting for trucks.. followed by people asking you "where did you get that?" and also terrifying the neighbors children into eating their veggies before the giant green truck eat them. Well..something of the sort. :grd:

rahl07

TM's? I'm still learning the language man lol.

I know for sure I want a 2.5 ton, i'm just having a little difficulty navigating the forum. Trying to find if you guys use vendors or auctions more often, and figuring out all the knit-picky details that come when researching a hobby. I've started saving the cash already so we'll see what's what in a month or two.

hawkeyepoole

Just checking to see if posting works

I have a 'new' M35A2C with only 17,000 miles. I'm cleaning and painting it and learning about burning all the free Waste Motor Oil available to me at the aircraft hangar where the truck lives....

P.S. I'm in Fort Worth, and keep the truck at Meacham Field.

Hawkeye

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS rohl07. Best thing to do is look through the posts regarding the differences between the A2 and A3. Figure out what you want form there and go get one.

There is a BUNCH of posts regarding the differences between the 2/3....Its YOUR decision!

BTW, watchout for that USAFFFcoldwarrior guy...kinda :cookoo:.........

Goodluck!

treessw

welcome aboard!!! I have a little of everything, just read up on everything you can!!!! There is prob some guys local to you that might have some so you can try them out, either way.... if you buy one your still going to eventually buy the other and then atleast one more!! Good luck, its all downhill from here out

rahl07

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I guess I should state my intent, as it may help me decide (I hope this thread's in the right place).

I frankly do not care about the widgets and doo-dads on this monster. It needs to run, reliably, with my regular maintenance (I have some experience working on cars/motorcycles, so a much smaller scale, but I do have mechanical experience). It needs to be street-legal (lights, horn, blinkers are a plus, odo, speed, etc.). I don't want a hard top, as it will be run topless most of the time. Fridays, when I get off work, it's just a wee bit further to the beach. This will be a cruiser/workhorse down there. People and things need to be towed. Big trucks are flippin' sweet. I can use it to help move things locally down here, between friends of the family's hardware store and job sites. If the truck is in good shape, and has all its floorboards, I'm not picky.

I'm not a historical restoration guru. This truck will be treated well, but be expected to put in work. I don't care about all the little extras.

Diesel is readily available pretty much everywhere down here. Extra points if it can run off yak piss in a pinch, but honestly. It's frozen over on roads like, twice in the last 15 years. It was 70 degrees last Christmas. It doesn't need tire chains, or cold weather starting witchcraft. Although a winch would be pretty cool. Also, after grazing I've definitely ruled out any 5-tonners. Transmission type is a moot point, I can drive either. I suppose an automatic might be nicer to deal with, but it's not a requirement.

Once I decide what I want, I'll see about finding one within 1000 miles or so.

Now, tell me everything that was wrong with this post and let the firestorm of noob-hate begin! :p

Thanks again!

wehring

Richwood, TX

I am in Richwood which is about 45min South of Houston. If you care to come see a viriety of trucks I will be happy to host you.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

rahl07

That would be really cool. Let me see what I've got going the next few weeks, but I would definitely make a trip to Richwood. And thanks for the tips guys, I've begun reading my TM's.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Just bought my first M35A2C and titled it yesterday. Had zero problems and as soon as I get my title, I plan to register it under Texas Former Military Vehicle (FMV). Definitely worth looking into if you are going to keep it looking military.

You definitely joined the right site. Enjoy the hours and hours ... and hours of reading. :)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I guess I should state my intent, as it may help me decide (I hope this thread's in the right place).
I frankly do not care about the widgets and doo-dads on this monster. It needs to run, reliably, with my regular maintenance (I have some experience working on cars/motorcycles, so a much smaller scale, but I do have mechanical experience). It needs to be street-legal (lights, horn, blinkers are a plus, odo, speed, etc.). I don't want a hard top, as it will be run topless most of the time. Fridays, when I get off work, it's just a wee bit further to the beach. This will be a cruiser/workhorse down there. People and things need to be towed. Big trucks are flippin' sweet. I can use it to help move things locally down here, between friends of the family's hardware store and job sites. If the truck is in good shape, and has all its floorboards, I'm not picky.
I'm not a historical restoration guru. This truck will be treated well, but be expected to put in work. I don't care about all the little extras.
Diesel is readily available pretty much everywhere down here. Extra points if it can run off yak piss in a pinch, but honestly. It's frozen over on roads like, twice in the last 15 years. It was 70 degrees last Christmas. It doesn't need tire chains, or cold weather starting witchcraft. Although a winch would be pretty cool. Also, after grazing I've definitely ruled out any 5-tonners. Transmission type is a moot point, I can drive either. I suppose an automatic might be nicer to deal with, but it's not a requirement.
Once I decide what I want, I'll see about finding one within 1000 miles or so.
Now, tell me everything that was wrong with this post and let the firestorm of noob-hate begin! :p
Thanks again!
I just gotta ask...what made you NOT want a 5ton??:grin:

rahl07

Sorry for the delay getting back. Work last week was pandemonium.

I don't want a 5-ton because:

a) I don't need anything that big
b) I don't have the licence
c) I'd like to see the high-side of 45mph someday :D

Consequently, I'm looking at getting an A2 multi-fuel turbo. I don't care if it whistles; the engines are rated at the same HP correct?

what does it cost you guys to title/insure these beasts?

two.fiveM35

Yearly registration is very cheap if you register it as a "Former Military". As that it can not be a daily driver because it's intended purpose needs to be parades or display. Do a search and you'll find all kinds of info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks