• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Fuel Filter Base

mutt1966

I just picked up a new GM Fuel Filter Assembly with a new filter, its new in the Gm box and in a sealed wrapper but its missing the pressure switch and the hole is plugged with something looks like some type of resin or epoxy? is that right or does that have to be removed and a switch installed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Scott

Hasdrubal

You're good to go. You dont need the fuel pressure switch. It was for the military STE/ICE testing equipment. Probably the major cause of everyones air in fuel woes, it was deleted on later models.

mutt1966

Thanks that made my day, I did find a video of a guy changing a filter on a '88 and the hole was sealed up. Thanks for the input. Scott

BIG_RED

I'll second that the stupid vacuum switch is the cause of TONS of air in fuel problems.. But I would still say a spin-on filter is much better then the original gm box unit. If the gm filter is still in it's packaging, you might want to consider looking for a spin on. I'm not doubting you here, I'm trying to save you trouble. Since installing my Stanadyne FM100 spin on filter(The same comapany that made the gm box filters), a new fuel lift pump and all new rubber lines - ALL my air in fuel woes went away. I fixed my gm filter 5 times before I gave up on it.

BIG_RED

Sorry Buzz, I just checked and I don't have any pics of it. I used 2 pieces of angle Iron bolted to the original filter mount to raise the holes, since the bolt holes on the new filter are at the top (since the filter screws into the bottom) instead of in the middle. The whole set-up cost me <$150 including shipping(to Canada), brass plumbing nipples and a $36 add-on "sight bowl" so that I could see if there was water in my filter. To this day, 2 years later, there has never been water in my filter :p. The filter I bought was a Stanadyne FM100 with a 5 micron 4.3" filter cartridge. I bought the filter head and one filter cartridge as a package, and then I bought 2 extra filters for about $15 each. I am still using the original filter.. I suppose I should change that soon. I believe I bought the filter set-up from Midwest Fuel Injection.

During that repair I replaced the fuel lift pump, all but one rubber fuel line and one of the steel fuel lines. My truck starts awesome. I crank it for less than a second when it's 0* and it starts no problem. Before that repair.. it took like 5 seconds to get started, and leaked a little diesel when parked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks