• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mav’s M1088A1 Conversion

Mavcaster

Hello everyone, I have been waiting to make this post and hoped it would happen soon which today turned out to be THE DAY beginning my first MV journey. I'm not entirely new to MVs as I have been active duty going on 14 yrs now although as an aircraft mechanic, so a bit different kind of vehicle. I do have a Duramax that I've owned for 15 yrs and just about turned every bolt on it I think so diesel engines are definitely familiar.

Anyways, today I won a GP auction for a 2001 M1088 so now just need to figure out how to get it home. I know with these auctions there are a lot of unknowns although it does run but has some issues idling so it says. I'm not entirely against going out to the yard and trying to get it road worthy enough to limp it home (only 170 miles) but would ideally like to find someone with a rig to trailer or tow it for the piece of mind.

Bottom line, just wanted to introduce myself with a little background and very open to the wealth of knowledge on this site. Any advice or anyone in the south Virginia area willing to help please please let me know!

Ronmar

Also check the excavation and road constriction companies. Brought mine home(120 mi?) on a trailer behind a local owner/operator dump truck for not very much. Know someone else in my area that brought one home with a road construction company that had a truck coming up this way empty to pick up a piece, so were more than willing to avoid the deadhead trip up.

Mavcaster

Thank you all for the welcome and advice so far. Here are a couple of pics from the auction at least until I get can get some of my own.

Attachments

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did they post a video of it running?

Issues idling could be a lot of things, but with a diesel it usually comes down to fueling and that's a 3126B truck which means possible HEUI issues.

Mavcaster

Yes there is a video but unable to download it to share. Sounds like could be an injection knock possibly but hard to tell in the video. I was thinking could be a small air leak also which I intend to test after checking filters. I have a similar style primer bulb on my Duramax that gave me quite the time after I replace head gaskets. Couldn’t get it to prime and then started hearing a hiss when I would press it so led me to track down a fuel line QD not seating properly. I hope this turns out to be something simple and not a $1000 pump. CEL is illuminated but I already have access to the diagnostic tool so interested to see what that’s about.

Mavcaster

Looked at the auction posting...very nice truck once you get that driveline issue all taken care of and the idle figured out.

Thanks I thought the same, exterior appears to be in great shape. Interior will need a little love. The fact that the engine starts and runs gives me a little piece of mind over a no crank but will take some troubleshooting. Eager to get it home where I can start wrenching.

Reworked LMTV

Here is a piece of a advice for a new M1088 owner. Not many FMTV owners know this, but the cab has a built in Pez dispenser. To use this hidden feature, leave a 20# or so tool in the cab (jacks work exceptionally well) near the back is preferred, then raise the cab. The cab will dispense your tool right through the windshield to you! What a smashing good idea!

Last edited:

Mavcaster

Well crap…EUC approved the same day I submit payment so now I’m scrambling. I REALLY wanna try to limp this thing home but understand what you guys are saying. I don’t know the cost of transport but I imagine it’s not cheap at all. Still need to call some local companies to see if they could support for some side hustle funds.

Mavcaster

One day EUC turnaround? Tells me no paperwork went to DLA. Tells me your truck is a flip. You did see the chewed up driveshaft yoke right? And the battery box mess?
yeah valid point although I did submit EUC paperwork last week but still really quick from what I have seen. And yes I did see the yoke chipped so expecting to add some metal there and maybe retap those threads, doesn’t seem like a big deal and for the batteries, I did see the two standard batts added which from what I hear on here anyway…alternator works better with two batteries and that’s if they all don’t need to be replaced anyway.

Actually might have a lead on a local logging outfit that might be able to assist with transport, just waiting to hear back from them.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

yeah valid point although I did submit EUC paperwork last week but still really quick from what I have seen. And yes I did see the yoke chipped so expecting to add some metal there and maybe retap those threads, doesn’t seem like a big deal and for the batteries, I did see the two standard batts added which from what I hear on here anyway…alternator works better with two batteries and that’s if they all don’t need to be replaced anyway.

Actually might have a lead on a local logging outfit that might be able to assist with transport, just waiting to hear back from them.
Yeah, you're going to want to pull two of those batteries reconnect as duals. You never want to run mix-matched batteries in these trucks (you'll kill the alt which will cost you several grand).

Given that you got your paper and seeing those batteries and driveshaft (not being "forked"), I would say that it came from a 3rd party yard (and not government).

Shipping is nuts currently (like +$7/mile in a lot of locations). If you have the couple days to spend going thru the truck prior to moving it, you might get lucky (depending on how many miles you face). I've done it (twice) but with running trucks and I spent a day going thru the basics on each before traveling with them). But that's assuming that you encounter no unforeseen issues (and that's rare even when you have a fully running/driving/shifting truck) due to sitting up for so many years..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks