• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M35A2 owner from CT!

eleven_mike

Hi All,
Thanks for having me, looking forward to learning from the experts here! I checked out a 1970 AM General M35A2 deuce from a private seller near Allentown, PA in person last week and drove it around for 10 minutes. Absolutely fell in love with her, warts and all. I spent a month driving one about 20 years ago and liked it way more than the 5 ton I usually drove and have wanted one ever since. So, in a bit of an impulse purchase 20 years in the making, I made a deal on the spot and I’m headed back this weekend with a buddy to convoy my van back the 170 miles back to Connecticut.

I’ve read the TMs and threads about picking up. I know she starts, runs, and drives as expected. Tires (NDT) are visually in good shape, and has 3 spares. Lights work. My only real concern is that (per current owner) one of the rear brakes drags a bit for the first few blocks but then works normally. I observed same, no noticeable heat difference after driving.

So, I’m bringing insurance, printed maps, hardcopy TM 10/12/20, as many tools and supplies as my infantry brain can add to the list, and of course a cellphone and emergency credit card if fate should demand it. I’m going to change the oil, air the tires, and grease the fittings. I’ll inspect the brake lines and other visible hardware but would really like to avoid removing any wheels on the spot. I will be bringing brake fluid as well.

Any last minute advice/warnings/tips? And does anyone happen to have a deuce cab for sale near my route? I’m already dreaming of building an extended cab...

Thanks!
J

eleven_mike

Hi All,
Thanks for having me, looking forward to learning from the experts here! I checked out a 1970 AM General M35A2 deuce from a private seller near Allentown, PA in person last week and drove it around for 10 minutes. Absolutely fell in love with her, warts and all. I spent a month driving one about 20 years ago and liked it way more than the 5 ton I usually drove and have wanted one ever since. So, in a bit of an impulse purchase 20 years in the making, I made a deal on the spot and I’m headed back this weekend with a buddy to convoy my van back the 170 miles back to Connecticut.

I’ve read the TMs and threads about picking up. I know she starts, runs, and drives as expected. Tires (NDT) are visually in good shape, and has 3 spares. Lights work. My only real concern is that (per current owner) one of the rear brakes drags a bit for the first few blocks but then works normally. I observed same, no noticeable heat difference after driving.

So, I’m bringing insurance, printed maps, hardcopy TM 10/12/20, as many tools and supplies as my infantry brain can add to the list, and of course a cellphone and emergency credit card if fate should demand it. I’m going to change the oil, air the tires, and grease the fittings. I’ll inspect the brake lines and other visible hardware but would really like to avoid removing any wheels on the spot. I will be bringing brake fluid as well.

Any last minute advice/warnings/tips? And does anyone happen to have a deuce cab for sale near my route? I’m already dreaming of building an extended cab...

Thanks!
J
forgot the pics!!!

Attachments

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Oklahoma!

Congratulations!

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things.
The first time I ever drove a deuce was when I bought mine and drove it 750 miles home from Georgia to Oklahoma. It'll be a fun trip, and one you won't soon forget!
I will be bringing brake fluid as well.
Just remember that these originally came with DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. Sometimes people switch it out for DOT 3. Or they don't switch it out and mix the two and cause all sorts of problems. DOT 3 and DOT 5 don't mix! So verify what is actually in your truck before you add any.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi All,

Thanks!
J
Hi and Welcome eleven_mike !

Happy to see you join the ranks of happy owners of large green trucks :)

Sounds to me like you have given it some thought and got a few tools together along with some seat time. Getting her ready to roll with fresh oil and some grease on her fittings is a good plan. Double check the antifreeze and possibly throw in an extra few gallons of water that we hope you don't need.

M37M35 reminded you about the incompatibility of DOT 3 and DOT 5 brake fluid.

Traveling won't be fast, but trying to wipe that smile off your face after a few hours will be hard to do. Most likely you will get lots of waves and every fuel stop should cause you more smiles as well.

Congratulations on your new toy and Welcome from North Carolina!

Tim

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With winch, drop sides and hard top. Nice score!
Looks like you have the PM and emergency breakdowns covered. The dragging brakes could be a master cylinder in need of having the fluid return hole cleaned out or it could be an air pack problem. When you do the oil change, you will be underneath anyways. Just pull the J-pipe so that you can squirt some air tool oil into the pipe and put it back together.
Info here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/dragging-brakes-on-m35a2.175955/

You may not want to pull all the wheels, but do check for leaking wheel seals while you are underneath. Also check the bolts/nuts on the short jack shaft between tranny and transfer case. They like to come loose.

In fact, there is a check list thread or two:

You are full of anticipation and have nothing else to do than reading truck stuff! Tell me it ain't so! :)

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out this thread on capping a brake line. It proved very valuable on our last deuce recovery. I’m sure you have them in your toolbox but you’ll probably want an 11/16 and a 1/2 box end wrench if you have to adjust the brakes also. Stop frequently to check temperatures and for leaks. It’s always better to catch and fix small things before the become more difficult and expensive to fix.
Take ear plugs....

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and congratulations on the new acquisition. The M35A2C w/w trucks were fairly rare as most came wo/w. Is it an original truck that came out that way (check the data plate), or did the original owner add the winch? It is fine either way. I am just curious.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This reminded me...
Stop frequently to check temperatures...
If you don't already have one, pick up an Infrared Thermometer. They're pretty cheap and most places that sell tools will have them. They're great for finding a dragging brake or dry bearing, or checking the accuracy of your engine temp gauge, or a hundred other uses.

eleven_mike

Welcome and congratulations on the new acquisition. The M35A2C w/w trucks were fairly rare as most came wo/w. Is it an original truck that came out that way (check the data plate), or did the original owner add the winch? It is fine either way. I am just curious.
Will check Saturday when I get back to her and let you know. Can’t tell in the pics I took.

eleven_mike

With winch, drop sides and hard top. Nice score!
Looks like you have the PM and emergency breakdowns covered. The dragging brakes could be a master cylinder in need of having the fluid return hole cleaned out or it could be an air pack problem. When you do the oil change, you will be underneath anyways. Just pull the J-pipe so that you can squirt some air tool oil into the pipe and put it back together.
Info here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/dragging-brakes-on-m35a2.175955/

You may not want to pull all the wheels, but do check for leaking wheel seals while you are underneath. Also check the bolts/nuts on the short jack shaft between tranny and transfer case. They like to come loose.

In fact, there is a check list thread or two:

You are full of anticipation and have nothing else to do than reading truck stuff! Tell me it ain't so! :)
Thanks! The full running package with winch was too good to pass up. My 12 year old son sent me the listing and I found myself in front of the truck 36 hours after it was posted. And I was so proud of myself for clearing out the driveway 6 months ago... The drop sides and hard top are just icing on the rusty cake! 🤣🥳

Thanks for the brake fix links, pretty good reading. Have added your points to my PMCS list.

And I don’t know what you’re talking about with the anticipation...been totally focused on work this week. I promise!! Haven’t made any checklists or bought more tools and supplies than the tow would have cost or nothin!! 😉😆

eleven_mike

This reminded me...

If you don't already have one, pick up an Infrared Thermometer. They're pretty cheap and most places that sell tools will have them. They're great for finding a dragging brake or dry bearing, or checking the accuracy of your engine temp gauge, or a hundred other uses.
I keep stealing mine from the garage for cooking. Turns out it’s pretty good at baking temps too. Probably time for a second one. Maybe even worth separating the grease types...

eleven_mike

Just remember that these originally came with DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. Sometimes people switch it out for DOT 3. Or they don't switch it out and mix the two and cause all sorts of problems. DOT 3 and DOT 5 don't mix! So verify what is actually in your truck before you add any.
Just checked the fluids bin that I’m packing. A couple pints each of DOT 3 and DOT4 (yeah I know irrelevant on this mission) but no DOT 5. Fortunately on my scouting run I found about 15 truck stops/rv dealers/auto parts stores in the few miles around pickup. I’ll grab a couple 5’s on the way in.

eleven_mike

Check out this thread on capping a brake line. It proved very valuable on our last deuce recovery. I’m sure you have them in your toolbox but you’ll probably want an 11/16 and a 1/2 box end wrench if you have to adjust the brakes also. Stop frequently to check temperatures and for leaks. It’s always better to catch and fix small things before the become more difficult and expensive to fix.
Take ear plugs....
Thanks, printing thread for troubleshooting.

And we’ve got earplugs...as backups for these:

Attachments

FloridaAKM

Congratulations on your new to you Deuce. Welcome aboard, stow your bags & prepare to get underway. The previous posters have covered most of the issues, so drive safely & may murphy be on the other side of the country till you get home. Enjoy every bit of the trip home!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Made it home without incident! Thanks everyone for all the help prepping for the recovery! I spent an hour getting her ready to roll and then just got to enjoy my drive.
Congratulations!! Happy to hear everything went smoothly and without incident.
Now you can start working on a Sunday Drive every other week or so :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks