• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new M715 project

camp9

Just picked up a new M715. It has 10,000 miles on it and came from a local DNR fire station. This will be a great project for the boys and me. I won't know until I get it started, but might not be much of a project at all, looks like it's ready to go. Need to put two batteries in it and see if it'll fire up. Received the sf-97 yesterday so off to the sec of state to see if I can get a title. It has OD green under the red paint. Would like to take the paint off down to the original and see if I can find any unit #'s.

Attachments

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my brother first started his Fire Dept in Waterloo, Alabama those were his first vehicles , with the slide in pump . He also had a M211 , with home made tank and pump . They were provided by the Forest Service and had to go back to them when he was finished with them . That was back in the mide 70's . He even had a 715 with a winch . It was fun to go on a call with those rides . He only got rid of his last Multi Fuel 5 ton a few years ago , MV's are the way to go when you have limited funds . Your MV brought back memories , bob k:cool:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SF-97 is the government form used for you to obtain a title with.

Nice M715! Looks like most everything is there - put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes, let it soak overnight. The next day put some fresh gas and batteries in it, see what she does!

camp9

Sweet, even has the heater kit!
Yep, heater was by-passed, looks like the core had a leek. Went to pull the fuel tank plug out and when I turned it the plug and threads came out, so jb weld it back on. The fuel that came out as old, but not to bad.

camp9

SF-97 is the government form used for you to obtain a title with.

Nice M715! Looks like most everything is there - put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes, let it soak overnight. The next day put some fresh gas and batteries in it, see what she does!
The only problem I can see with the SF-97 is there is no weight stated. How much does one of these weigh??

We'll try to get it going this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes.

camp9

I finally had some time to put some batteries in my m715. I thought I knew how to hook up a 24v system. but there is a extra hook up in the box I'm not sure about. I have two neg lines going to the frame. One positive coming off the shut off, and another pos going to the starter. What is the other cross over that I have in my hand for? I found this link for all the elec. connections Group 6 - Electrical - M715 and shows the way I would hook it up. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks, Camp

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it the short lead that goes from the negative of one battery to the positive of the other?

camp9

Is it the short lead that goes from the negative of one battery to the positive of the other?
Yep, your right. Looking at the extras has got me confused. If there are two positives and two negative, it has the 24v generator, so its not converted. Anyone have a pic of there connections in a battery box I can look at?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The FD was using the 12 V alternator to power lights and sirens and radios. That needs to go along with all that extra mess in the battery box. Looks like a short waiting to happen. All you need is the negative cable going to the frame and the positive cable going to the starter switch, and the short cable between batteries.

camp9

The FD was using the 12 V alternator to power lights and sirens and radios. That needs to go along with all that extra mess in the battery box. Looks like a short waiting to happen. All you need is the negative cable going to the frame and the positive cable going to the starter switch, and the short cable between batteries.
Thanks for the help NDT, makes since given both systems are in there. I'll hook it up and give it a try. :D

camp9

Thanks, were glad we got it too. My youngest got in it when we got it home and was so excited because this is the first truck he can reach the clutch in :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks