• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M890 project

RedBarnes

Hey all, I picked up a 1980 Dodge D200/M890 a few months ago in a trade. The intended use is as a daily driver while my other car is in and out of the shop, and as a project, once I get settled into a new place. Anyway, I am looking for some info on this truck, after reading the TM I found when I searched this site to see if this had been asked before. This truck has full markings from the Navy and all the original military placards, but it is equipped with a 225 slant six. The Army TM9-2320-266-10 says all M880/M890 series trucks came equipped with the 318 V8. Is there any way to find out if this is the original motor or did someone swap the original 318 for the 225 slant six?

Also, is there a way to track down the UIC listed on the doors? I am assuming this truck was used on either Bremerton at the Puget Sound Navy Shipyard, on the Bangor Submarine base, or somewhere else on Naval Base Kitsap.

20160904_143024.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome RedBarnes. The M880 series which includes the 890 2WD truck only were 1976 and 1977 models. While yours is nearly the same thing, it was not part of that contract.

Should make an excellent reliable daily driver.

papakb

My '77 890 was purchased by the USAF Vandenburg and spent it's entire life there. It was a local purchase and came with a 360 CID engine and all of it's military and W200 markings. The truck has an incorrect emissions sticker on the hood that won't work as shown. The vacuum amplifier is plumbed wrong. The nice thing about this truck is it was fully rustproofed before delivery.

Kurt

nattieleather

That is news to me. Any idea what this truck is?
Most likely your truck was purchased in 1980 by the US Navy. It's an more or less an off the shelf truck that was purchased by government contract. Happens all the time. The military needs civilian trucks to do work on bases all the time. It got military marking and placards when it was purchased most likely put on by the base. So yes you have a Navy "military" truck. You have a 1908 D200 with a 225 slant six used by the Navy. You do not have a M890 contract military truck. This is why your truck is stock white with black markings. It came white from the factory. Nice looking truck. Enjoy your ride it should be a good one!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks