• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from Colorado Springs

JM923A2

Hi all,

I am located in Peyton Colorado, outside of Colorado Springs. Over the past month I have used this site for research on the best vehicle for me M923A1 or M923A2. I settled on the 1990 M923A2 8.3l Cummins, and it will be here sometime this week/weekend.
:naner:

The only issues it has is that it doesn't crank but jumps just fine and doesn't shut-off without manual intervention.

- The jump start forum has been beneficial - it seems that removing each battery independently and charging it with a 12v charger is the best method for safety. While I can hook batteries up in tandem to generate the 24v required it seems much easier to just charge it the previous way.

- The engine also doesn't shutdown without manual intervention thus my thought is the solenoidhttps://www.google.com/search?q=solenoid&spell=1&sa=X&ei=hJ2aVb-GPNLbgwScp4HIAw&ved=0CBsQvwUoAA is sticking, and a cleaning may be in order. I saw a while back a quick blurb about this but cannot seem to locate it again.

My engine background is limited primarily Chevy Big Blocks (454 4-bolt main), Foreign ricers (Brothers), and a 6.0 Power-stroke (Sold) - However it figure if I can work on a Power-stroke how hard can a Cummins be.

Any advice is always helpful.

steelandcanvas

Welcome from the High Plains of Eastern Colorado! I'm sure someone will chime in on you 923 problems. In my sig line there is a link to our collector's club. Take a look at our website, we have a lot of fun and talent in the club.

JM923A2

Welcome from the High Plains of Eastern Colorado! I'm sure someone will chime in on you 923 problems. In my sig line there is a link to our collector's club. Take a look at our website, we have a lot of fun and talent in the club.
Thanks for the info on the DMV in El Paso County. My research on this was limited and having it clear and from someone who has dealt with it before gives me more confidence in this area. Just cannot wait for Peterson AFB Guards to see me pulling this through the POV lane aua

steelandcanvas

Thanks for the info on the DMV in El Paso County. My research on this was limited and having it clear and from someone who has dealt with it before gives me more confidence in this area. Just cannot wait for Peterson AFB Guards to see me pulling this through the POV lane aua
One of our Club Members wrote that invaluable piece of information. I'm glad you found it

m109a2

Welcome from Lake Charles La.,I am not a 5 ton man but when I trouble shoot something I try to start with the cheap,easy,and the lazy.Take your batteries out of series and check them put a meter on them if you do not have one bring them to the parts house proceed from there.Al.

therooster2001

That issue of no crank, but jumps sounds just like an issue we had with an M934a2. We suspected the PCB, but also found a missing ground strap, which played havoc on our troubleshooting. Mechanic said it was the starter, but wasn't at all. The PCB, grounding, and cranking are all involved in that circuit. Trace it out, I bet you replace a couple of parts and done. That sticking solenoid happened to us too while we messed with it, I forget if it's involved in the PCB loop as well, but it might be ok once you solve that other issue. We had to manually articulate it to get the truck to stop. We tried the whacking the PCB, but that didn't fix it. I have a spare PCB if you need to verify that.

Could also be the starter, but try the screwdriver across the terminals trick to verify that one.

Welcome from northern Colorado.

Edit: this is of course if it's not just the battery problem, that sounds more like it if it does jump (and assumably cranks). Start with new batteries if you can, you'll save a lot of headaches.

Last edited:

JM923A2

That issue of no crank, but jumps sounds just like an issue we had with an M934a2. We suspected the PCB, but also found a missing ground strap, which played havoc on our troubleshooting. Mechanic said it was the starter, but wasn't at all. The PCB, grounding, and cranking are all involved in that circuit. Trace it out, I bet you replace a couple of parts and done. That sticking solenoid happened to us too while we messed with it, I forget if it's involved in the PCB loop as well, but it might be ok once you solve that other issue. We had to manually articulate it to get the truck to stop. We tried the whacking the PCB, but that didn't fix it. I have a spare PCB if you need to verify that.

Could also be the starter, but try the screwdriver across the terminals trick to verify that one.

Welcome from northern Colorado.

Edit: this is of course if it's not just the battery problem, that sounds more like it if it does jump (and assumably cranks). Start with new batteries if you can, you'll save a lot of headaches.
I figure since it starts with jump and keeps running its likely the batteries and solenoid. I will try the old Army solution, give it the boot and see if that works, then try WD40 on the part. However good to know about the ground as I have had issues finding that in the past. How many grounds should be in this loop of the PCB system?

Thanks for the Part offer, depending on the results with some work I will see. I should find out today when it will be delivered so hopefully this weekend. Worst case scenario I attach a cable to the shutoff arm and wire to the cab and create a manual shutoff. Make it like on old throttle body pull.

I

therooster2001

Funny part about the shut off, is there is already one in the cab. We had to zip tie it open so had to cut it off, then articulate it to get it to stop the engine. The necessity of a recovery... Good luck, let us know what happens, and post some picts of the truck!

therooster2001

That article is a bit dated, but still applies, just the years are now 32 to be a collector vehicle, the 1990 won't qualify. Get ready for GVW plates. Stay tuned, I'm working with the DMV on something which might work out. Do NOT register it yet, but do get the title.

JM923A2

Hello to you from 80536, Livermore Colorado. Do you have a lot of experience with military vehicles? Seems like you know your way around the 5 ton truck.
Thanks for the hello. I have very little experience with military trucks however am a natural at engines and troubleshooting, it upsets auto shops. Since the engine is rather basic, reason why I wanted this rather than a F250 or Dodge 2500, to me only a few things can cause these issues. The only work issue I have is altering current configurations other than basic items. On a plus note a friend is a heavy diesel mechanic for around 30 years. I figure worst case he can help.

JM923A2

That article is a bit dated, but still applies, just the years are now 32 to be a collector vehicle, the 1990 won't qualify. Get ready for GVW plates. Stay tuned, I'm working with the DMV on something which might work out. Do NOT register it yet, but do get the title.
So I won't register it yet however how much would GVW plates cost for this vehicle. If about 200 - 300 a year I can accept that, but I have a feeling that this is not the case. Is there any way I can help with the DMV?

mcmullag

The two I have registered, I do as recreational truck. REC TRK on plates. I tell them I am just using it for parades, which is true. They had me sign a form that it would not be used for commercial purposes, which also fits my situation. Plates $235 this year, plus about $85 diesel emissions test fee needef for a diesel vehicle registered in El Paso county, which may apply to original poster.
004.jpg

Last edited:

JM923A2

The two I have registered, I do as recreational truck. REC TRK on plates. I tell them I am just using it for parades, which is true. They had me sign a form that it would not be used for commercial purposes, which also fits my situation. Plates $235 this year, plus about $85 diesel emissions test fee needef for a diesel vehicle registered in El Paso county, which may apply to original poster.
View attachment 568941
Thanks for the information. Does REC TRK plates allow some personal hauling with the truck or does it violate the terms?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks