• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member & new 5 ton owner

Lonnie

Been lurking here for about 2 weeks reading everything I could find...

Bought my first M818 today & now getting familiar with my new toy.
Got it from another site member.

IMG_0161.jpg

Thinking about adding a Deuce bed to create some hauling ability.

Hope to have some good pictures in a few days.

Lonnie

Yes it was on Craigslist.
It is in rather nice condition.

Plan on some small improvements but it does not need any major work.

Where in Brownsville are you located? I live in Perryopolis.

Trying to meet a few locals in the area.

Lonnie

Thanks,
I'm still fascinated with it for sure.

I hesitated a few weeks before buying to make sure I really wanted it & looked around at a few others to see how things compared.

bchauvette

Congrtats. You are now a member of an elite group. This site has a tremendous amount of information and "Buds" anxious to help. That being said you are strongly encouraged to search the site before asking any questions. You may want to search "Searching". More than likely the answer is within these hallowed pages. It seems asking an already answered question clogs up the search engine. Some members are very sensitive about this.

Lonnie

She looks nice Lonnie enjoy your new truck if you need anything give me a shout I ll have to stop down.
Nice talking w/ you the other day. Saved your number, I'll be in touch, or call me anytime, I'm not far away.

As far as the search, I've already read a few hundred posts... I'm trying to read everything just to learn about them.
I'm sure I'll be asking questions & searching for a few things.

Very glad to find this site... people with common interests tend to create a nice atmosphere.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lonnie,
Welcome from KY. Nice tractor. It will look good with a M35 bed on it. Enjoy and welcome to the site.
JC

tobyS

Real nice truck. My knee can't handle shifting and thus I'm limited to 939 series. Have you considered a 923 cargo bed cut down? I don't know the difference in sizes, if any.

Lonnie

From what I can determine so far, the deuce bed is 2ft shorter than the 923.
Never measured a 923 bed.

The deuce bed is 12'-10" at the top rails.

Measured all the cross members to see where they fall with the tires.
Everything seems OK, even the mudflap mounts should work.
May have to raise everything slightly to keep the tires from touching at max articulation... did not measure that yet.
Will have to remove the air lines & upper tool box behind the cab... or shorten the bed.

For reference, how far away is the bed from the rear cab mount?
Anyone have a measurement?

Spent the day pressure washing & cleaning.
Scrubbing the tires on the outside & inside is no fun.
Used a whole bottle of tire cleaner followed by another bottle of tire protectant.

Thanks to all for the positive comments.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks