• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New mep-016c

combat32

Got this from gsa, showing 334 hours, looks to be in great shape.

It still had clean oil in it and some funky gas, fired it off with some ether and it ran and made power!

This one should be easy to get going.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
You can see the electronic ignition. Put a dab of oil on the ball joints of the carb control rod, both sides. Work it back and forth. Your carb response will be the better for it.

combat32

This is the first mep 16 I have seen that does not have convenience receptacles.

I wonder if this is a real early one or a set that was originally a 400Hz set that was later converted.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Thats correct. The UOC for the MEP-016A is CKW. It shows a Control Panel with 110 volt outlet. The MEP-021A, (400 Hz.) is without 110 volt outlet and the UOC is CKX.

Have you checked the hertz output? There has never been any authorized conversions, so if it's been "converted", its been done after the military hocked it off. Might do to take an extra look at everything.

Having seen the 3KW in every variation that has been produced, no early version was ever issued without the 110 volt outlets for the MEP-016A.

Last edited:

combat32

Well guess I should have looked at it closer, it is a 21a, after cleaning the fuel system it runs great and makes 400Hz.

I have a gen head complete from a 16d I may convert this one myself in the future.

Guyfang

Staff member
I kinda had the feeling that's what you would say. But you need to get the parts manual out and look REAL good at the UOC, for all the electrical parts if thats what you want to do. It sounds like a project!! Yeah, it would be fun I think. Or turn it into a go cart?

combat32

I have split a 16a before to swap out the motor, I think its doable,

Guess I should learn to read, it has a data plate on the side DOH!:mrgreen:

87Nassaublue

I kinda had the feeling that's what you would say. But you need to get the parts manual out and look REAL good at the UOC, for all the electrical parts if thats what you want to do. It sounds like a project!! Yeah, it would be fun I think. Or turn it into a go cart?
Hey, that would make a heck of a gocart! I like that idea!

cjcottrill

Do you have a source for carb rebuild parts? I have one that really needs rebuilt, cleaning did not do the trick. I have been able to find replacement carburetors for sale but other than gaskets, no rebuild parts.
Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

combat32

No I have not, Saturn is out of carbs I know of no other source. He does still have the carb bowl gasket which I use and then make all the rest from scratch. Generally they just require a good cleaning, and I always coat the float with gas tank sealer, that has worked well for me.

Care to share your source for carbs?

cjcottrill

Saturn still has the carbs listed on the website and had some when I called and got gaskets earlier in the summer. I guess if the are out of stock, I waited a little too long.
Charlie

combat32

Yeah he told me last week he is out. Propane conversion is an option, there is a guy on evilbay selling a complete kit but its kinda high in my opinion, I think you could piece it together cheaper.

I am thinking about doing it on my mep-016a, I wonder how much run time you would get from a bbq size propane tank?

cjcottrill

I have seen NOS engines for almost the cost of the conversion kits. I bought some used carbs at a swap meet last year but they turned out to be pretty bad inside. I've meet some folks who claim they know of interchange parts but I have had no luck getting part numbers. I guess the search continues. The 2017 show season is just around the corner!

cjcottrill

I have also heard the ultralight crowd has a replacement carburetor without the restrictor plate for both the 4A032 and the 4A084 that works well and increases available horsepower.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks