• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Pilot's M36a2 Build

Dead pilot

If you are able to provide dimensions and/or a drawing of your modifications, I'm sure others will appreciate being able to replicate your efforts without having to "reinvent" these troop seats.

Thanks for sharing!
Good idea. I'll do up a new post with drawings dimensions and some pictures of the rest of the project.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Dead pilot

Got the troop seats all done and the headache rack done. Everything looks good and works good. Even pulled out the cover looks like my uprights are a bit short. Have to go look the TM to see what it should be for the M36.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Dead pilot

Finally got around to fixing the rear axle after the failed test run awhile back. Took awhile to be able to get out to get the rear axle set got a pretty good deal on the both axles complete with a the section of frame they were cut out of.
Forgot to take some before pictures of the donor axles but grabbed some after day 1 of work.
Most of the parts off the bent axle came off with out too much issues. The donor axle well some of the bolts may just become liquid.
The bent axle was bent on outer driverside towards the cab about 1".

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Dead pilot

More work finally done. It's a slow process. But ran into something that I'm not sure is any issue or not. I found out the donor axles came out of a gasser. The axles are stamped with 3 27 53 and are Timken Detroit axles.
The axles that came off my M36 are Rockwell.
Now the question is will these axles work on the 36.
They both are marked as 6 27 ratio

Dead pilot

Yes, works just fine.

And post #5 describes one with mixed age axles: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/53-studebaker-truck-rebuilt-into-multifuel.195228/
Ok cool that will make life so much easier. One of the axle is leaking water out of the top end. The second one seems to be good. But still gonna tear into it and make sure

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Finally got both rears out from under the truck and then did a quick power wash to clean them off some.
Now to set the area up for tear down and rebuild. And I gotta figure out a better way to get these heavy things back under the truck when done.

Wow.
Looks like you have a BIG job ahead of you.
Those look like First Class jack stands out back too.

Dead pilot

Weather and time has finally lined up. So I was finally able to take the rest of the suspension off. Rear spring came off the trunion pretty easily. I could it hasn't been serviced in a very long time. The grease was pretty hard in spots. So that will all get cleaned up.

But the question is do it put the roller bearings back in or get the newer bushings?

Up next is ordering parts and rebuilding the rear axles then paint.
Goal is to be back up and running by April or early May

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks