• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New PT-76 Acquisition

Augdog1964

Hey all,

Attached are pics of our newest acquisition, an amphibious PT-76 Russian tank...

Its been a dream for a long time to acquire a PT-76, and the day finally came...

Now despite an unload at 0 degrees, she's sitting in her new home!

Now if we could locate an IS-3 and a T-64, our Soviet collection would be complete!

ResizedImage_1514402821258.jpgIMG_2705.jpgIMG_2706.jpgIMG_2707.jpgIMG_2708.jpg

dmetalmiki

Awesome Awesome Awesome!..Now THAT'S an acquisition...I have been trying to get a "Huge" Russian thing for ever....finally just about had it arranged..and (Just my luck) the whole batch went to Africa!...(comment withheld!***)
Actually I would appreciate a P.M. Of how you accomplished that mission..and advise if it came from 'mortar'?, Can you post up some more pictures of your collection?.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So how does Eastern block stuff compare to ours of similar vintage?

You know, you always hear people say stuff like Russian stuff is simple, designed to be fixed with hammers but you also hear everyone and their brother (who've never driven one) say that Porsche 930's will immediately change directions, flip over on their roofs and catch fire if you lift the throttle in a turn. And I have enough 930 experience to say that's hogwash (I did set one on fire once, but that was unrelated to driving).

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, now that's something you don't see everyday!
-especially in the snow on the Eastern Front of Indiana. Dave, you need to have an open day for inspection. So us close by can come up and kick the treads. Very cool, congratulations.
JC

Augdog1964

So how does Eastern block stuff compare to ours of similar vintage?

You know, you always hear people say stuff like Russian stuff is simple, designed to be fixed with hammers but you also hear everyone and their brother (who've never driven one) say that Porsche 930's will immediately change directions, flip over on their roofs and catch fire if you lift the throttle in a turn. And I have enough 930 experience to say that's hogwash (I did set one on fire once, but that was unrelated to driving).

Great question...

I've owned a Leopard 1A4, have a Chieftain Mk10, and a Pz61, and have been on and around the M60, and Centurion, all contemporaries of the Soviet tanks I have...

The Russian tanks are definitely cruder, they were NOT interested in crew comfort or even survivability for that matter... they are also deficient in optics and electronics...

But what they do have is they are built extremely robust, tough, and reliable. The T-62 showed here after not being run for 9 years... but it started with new batteries and fluids, in 1/2 turn.

Where people make the mistake is pitting an individual tank vs. another individual tank... that was NEVER the Soviet Union's idea... They were more concerned with pitting 5 x T-55/72s vs. one M60 or Chieftain.

"Quantity has a Quality all its own... " Stalin

If the flag had dropped we could have expected to be outnumbered 5 to 1 in Germany... thus the reason the A-10 was developed, as a force equalizer.

As such the tanks were not developed to be technical marvels, with high survivability. They were made to overwhelm in numbers just as they did the Germans at Kursk.

They estimated the average tank running through the Gap would last 10 to 20 minutes. That being said, their awesomeness comes from the sheer brutality of their design, simplicity of their engineering, toughness of their components, and tractorlike qualities that make them very resilient.

So NO a T-55 was never a match for a Chieftain or M60 or Leo 1... BUT 5 x T-55s supported by 3 BMP-1s was MORE than a match for one....

Just glad the world never had the opportunity to see what a Russian tank force could do with properly trained troops in a WWIII scenario!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks