• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New side glass for top?

Warren Lovell

Thanks for the replies...is the glass unscratched or new? I am going to tint it once I install it. The glass I have now is scratched and won't tint. I can't find any vendors for new glass...or I am looking for glass in all the wrong places...:???:

cucvrus

Used but with it out you should have no problem tinting them. The stock factory tints were laminated glass. I don't think I have a scratched bad enough that they won't tint. The back glass is the scratched up ones. I have a back glass with the DOT matrix tinting and a tempered shaded rear glass. The laminated rear glass has a 1 month life expectancy on an M1009 that is used as a utility vehicle. Ask me how I know. I had a glass company install a laminated rear window and it was broken in less then a week. They warranted it and then it broke again. I seen the culprit. It was me. Touching the edge with this being loaded and unloaded from the back. I put a rubber flap and guard on both sides to protect it and changed back to stock clear tempered glass. Been great for 10+ years.

Drock

Have you ever used one. A good friend owns a glass shop and loaned me his kit. Long story short, I brought it back after 2 hrs of use with no joy and he just laughed and said "I told you so"
Yes I have, my father (Auto glass installer for 50 yrs) taught me how to do it when I was 10yrs old. I was proficient with it before he could ash his cigarette LOL! Now that was 35yrs ago, and the kit consisted of a buffing pad fitted to a cordless drill and what he called jeweler's Rouge. The trick is to not get the glass hot, so be gentle, don't linger in one spot, and use plenty of compound on both the glass and the pad. Granted it won't take out deep scratches, but I was typically able to take out most, if not all of a wiper blade scratch. :beer:

Barrman

I still have a brand new in the huge military foam filled box glass. I just can’t remember which side it is. Either way, the box is 8x4x1. Not something easy to ship as is.

cucvrus

I still have a brand new in the huge military foam filled box glass. I just can’t remember which side it is. Either way, the box is 8x4x1. Not something easy to ship as is.
They are both the same. No right No left. Both the same in solid glass. Suburban rear side glass is the same also if I remember correctly. That was 35 years ago.

cucvrus

They are curved and they are tempered. If they are laminated they are very fragile. That rear window used to be a weekly purchase at the dealership I worked at. You can not cut tempered glass. Part number DB 4955 NAG part number. Clear is not available anymore. Tinted is about $150. National Auto Glass part number DB 4955.

Drock

They are curved and they are tempered. If they are laminated they are very fragile. That rear window used to be a weekly purchase at the dealership I worked at. You can not cut tempered glass. Part number DB 4955 NAG part number. Clear is not available anymore. Tinted is about $150. National Auto Glass part number DB 4955.
Agreed, Blazer bodies flex a lot. And laminated glass doesn't. you wouldn't make it out of the parking lot without cracking it.

cucvrus

They did have laminated rear and side windows. the black deep tint were laminated glass. I have them in my Crown of Thorns M1009. The side glass is laminated and the rear window was. Was being the key word. Broke 2 using the truck as designed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks