• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New timing chain deflection.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question. How much deflection should a new timing chain have? It also has new sprockets. Mine has 1/16 max and thats really pushing on it. Is this normal?

Thanks

jdemaris

Quick question. How much deflection should a new timing chain have? It also has new sprockets. Mine has 1/16 max and thats really pushing on it. Is this normal?

Thanks
1/2" of side-slop for a new chain with new gears. and . . GM allows up to 8/10" of side-slop for used. I just checked one of mine with 220,000 miles and the original chain has 9/16" side-slop. That doesn't even amount to 1/2 of a degree of movement at the flywheel, i.e. no problem.

How in heck did you get a new chain and gears with only 1/16" of side-slop? Seems that's almost impossible. Or are you measuring rotational movement? Chain is supposed to be checked inbetween the gears on the lax side, for "in an out" movement. .5" to .8" is the range.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must have the wrong timing set. I got it from napa and the number shows it for the 6.2, but we all know napa. I am measuring deflection like the arrows in the pic. Thanks for the help. I guess I will put the old one back on as it is bout 1/2 in movement.

Attachments

I have had to tear into an rebuilt engine with only a few miles on it. you would be surprised how fast timing chains loosen up. If you did not have to pry it onto the cam just run it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks