• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M101A2 toy

Thenewgrit

Awhile back I posted about my interest in a M416 trailer to gain some handy skills and have a camping/overland project. Well my interest changed to a M101A2 trailer and I pulled the trigger the other day [thumbzup]

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

While I originally wanted a M416 for the size because I mainly camp using a midsized Chevy Colorado the appeal of more room for an enclosed DIY camper eventually won me over. While I camp a lot and travel a lot this will be my first real DIY project as I've never been much of a handy or mechanical person. Time to learn some lessons

Need to schedule a pick up time and then its all mine. Has anyone had much experience pulling these trailers with a midsize truck? I have a fullsize but my plans center around my midsize Colorado. Looking on craigslist for a spare 8 lug wheel/tire for just-in-case when I pick it up. Have a hi-lift jack, magnetic lights and a bag of tools ready to go. The drive will be about 1hr highway and 30min rural roads and should be a fun experience.

Hoping to post a lot more to get helpful discussion and also contribute to the forum once the project gets underway! Appreciate the help so far

j10jim

I have a 101A3 that I have pulled with my Jeep J10 (half ton) pickup. Works fine. I am building mine out as a small DIY camper as well. What is the Colorado rated to pull?

DeadParrot

Depending on your hitch setup, you may need some quick links and short pieces of chain to allow the safety chains to connect to your truck. Many military hitches sit forward of the loops for the chains instead of behind like many civilian tow vehicles.

Unless it has been switched, expect the brake fluid to be Silicon DOT 5 instead of the civilian DOT 3. Mixing the two can create the flush the brake system task. There are threads here on how to test what is in there.

Take a portable air tank in case the tires are low.

Were the bed accessories included?

Thenewgrit

I have a 101A3 that I have pulled with my Jeep J10 (half ton) pickup. Works fine. I am building mine out as a small DIY camper as well. What is the Colorado rated to pull?
My Colorado is rated to 7000lbs it is a 3.6l v6. I was originally planning a overland trailer with a roof top tent (and originally a m416) but the idea of an enclosed semi-climate controlled space sounds great. Plus all the awesome inspirations one can get for cramming amenities into the space.

Depending on your hitch setup, you may need some quick links and short pieces of chain to allow the safety chains to connect to your truck. Many military hitches sit forward of the loops for the chains instead of behind like many civilian tow vehicles.

Unless it has been switched, expect the brake fluid to be Silicon DOT 5 instead of the civilian DOT 3. Mixing the two can create the flush the brake system task. There are threads here on how to test what is in there.

Take a portable air tank in case the tires are low.

Were the bed accessories included?
Yeah I'll have sections of chain in my truck box. I'm interested to see how well the surge brakes/pintel-lunette work/tow (first experience with both).

If there are any issues from the brake system from being old or unused for long, would it be convienent to just lock it out with a bolt or pin? I know the truck is a midsize but it should still stop the trailer fine when empty I'd assume.

The bed accessories are included though I don't imagine I'll have much use for them. The other m101a2 I looked at had similar bed accessories plus shelving. I don't know if I would have rather preferred bows and canopy but none were complete with that.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
That should tow great behind your Colorado. The surge brakes are great when they're working and they're not bad to fix up if they're not. You can lock it out if the shock is bad and the hitch is slamming back and forth while you stop.
If you're looking for the side racks you might want to check with ZiggyO or gimpyrobb.

Thenewgrit

I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.

One thing I'm wondering is about getting the trailer registered. In Ohio I don't need a title for under 4000lbs and just need to take a weight slip or MCO/MSO to the DMV to get it registered.

Do the data plates on the trailer fulfill this requirement? I'm picking up from GovPlanet does anything they give me the day of count? I figured the day of recovery I would just how home nice and slow with all the documents from the day.

Weller

Nice looking trailer and some great accessories!

That reel comes in handy if you're ever rolling up 50' of cable from a campground hookup.

Be sure to secure all of them as I've often found tool boxes and other accessories are not bolted to the trailers.

Going slow and having all documentation is a good plan.

Helpful when your data plates are clean and in good condition.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Where are you in Ohio? Im down in Cincinnati and have probably 5 or 6 of these trailers. The best setup ive found is an adjustable height hitch plate(I use the 12" tall one) with a pintle/ball combo bolted to the highest setting. I put some smaller clevises on the bottom holes of the adapter and the chains reach just fine.

Thenewgrit

Where are you in Ohio? Im down in Cincinnati and have probably 5 or 6 of these trailers. The best setup ive found is an adjustable height hitch plate(I use the 12" tall one) with a pintle/ball combo bolted to the highest setting. I put some smaller clevises on the bottom holes of the adapter and the chains reach just fine.
Im up in Richland County about halfway between Columbus and Cleveland. That is my plan but also what I haven't gotten yet. Tractor Supply has the plate and I was also looking at the ball/pintel combo. Is there a certain size to get so there is less gap and play with the lunette?

Thanks

Thenewgrit

Appreciate the help so far fellas.

I plan on getting it ASAP. Would have schedule by now but I'm a mushroom hunter and morels are popping all over the state! Time has been spent either at work or camping and mushrooming :D

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to absolutely love that trailer.

The best overall trailer the Military ever used, in my opinion.
www.crofttrailer.com has all the factory parts for the surge brakes.
HydroAct and Dexter/Redline.
When properly fixed and maintained, the surge brakes work great and will last
for years before any major maintenance is needed.

Antennaclimber did a M101A2 camper build that is the best I’ve seen.
He has posted about it and a Forum search will bring up the pics and details.
It’s extremely cool and very well thought out.
Very stealthy too.
Quite a number of guys have also done some amazing camper builds with that trailer.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks