• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally got my dream vehicle, what I have lusted for since I first saw them in service back in the early '80s. Today I bought this.
It has had all the really serious work done already (stripped to hull and components, sandblasted, primed and painted inside, primed outside). Lots of detailing to do now. All the parts were included.

My collection is now complete except for a Hemtt, and a PLS, and an M93, and a.......
Well, you know.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
RE: V-100 Purchase

I wonder what is the differance between that one and the newer ASV's the Army is using now? How long you reckon its going to take to finish her up. Look like a good project!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The simplified story- This is ASVs (M1117) grandfather. From this they developed the V150 with 5-ton axles, and a diesel in the later ones. That led to the V150S with the slightly lengthened hull (18" between the wheels) and other improvements, which was then developed into the M1117 with more improvements and independent suspension. The M1117 looks quite different now, with the added exterior armour and the lights moved down under the nose.
Oh, and the M1117 is not amphibious.

Optimistically I am planning on mine being on the road in three months, my goal is in time for Veterans Day. Probably too optimistic, we'll see.

Cheers

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M813rc said:
My collection is now complete except for a Hemtt, and a PLS, and an M93, and a.......
HEMTTs and PLSs can be had for a price. But good luck on that M93, I have never seen one for sale to the public. There might be one or two hulls somewhere, but oh to dream....

GREAT ACQUISITION! Glad to see your dream of owning a V-100 has finally come to pass....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, and thanks for posting that Bjorn, I had seen the first page before but not the rest. I tried to get a copy of that PS on Ebay a while back, but it went for over $70.

I think it is funny that I looked for a V100 for so long, then got one that was only 140 miles from me. In US terms, thats like finding it in your neighbours yard!

Here are some more pictures of what is done so far (courtesy of the previous owner). I will post more as work progresses.
I really would like to have this ready for the Veterans Day parade, my local MV club always coordinates with the Vietnam vets.

Cheers

Edit: Okay, the captions originally attached to the pictures on the old site didn't make the trip to the new one, AND they came up in reverse order! So...
1- Pic of transmission back together
2- Tranny stripped to component pieces
3- Hull back on rebuilt axles
4- Hull earlier, stripped, sandblasted and primed

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple more from yesterday.

The tires are the Commando Special run-flats in brand new condition. No aging or cracking, still have the moulding 'hairs' on the tread.

The only thing it is missing is the winch.

Edit, pic captions:
1- Drivers area, wiring going in
2- Looking in left side door at transfer case
3- Looking in left side hatch at engine, rebuilt Chrysler M75, basically a militarized 361 V-8
4- 14.00-20 run-flat tire

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is another neat little item that came with it, a foul weather hatch cover with a windshield wiper no less. With both drivers hatches open this fits in the raised ring and seals onto the weather strip. The two end panels are cracked, but easy to replace.

I imagine it would look a bit odd in place, but if it was snowing or raining real bad...

Cheers

Attachments

wgtactical

M813rc said:
Here are a couple more from yesterday.

The tires are in brand new condition. No aging or cracking, still have the molding 'hairs' on the tread.

The only thing it is missing is the winch.
I may be able to help you there Rory! You've done well 8)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read that Detroit PD were temporarily loaned several V-100s for riot duty around that time. They were destined for the S. Vietnamese, but got used in Detroit for a bit first. I am at work now, but I'll look at my books when I get home, I think that info is in Rick Lathrop and John McDonald's excellent Osprey book.

Edit: The book says Cadillac Gage loaned the V100s during the 1967 riots. Shows a picture of the police with three of them.

Thanks Bowman. I am looking forward to seeing more on your Fox. Those are really neat vehicles and I seriously planned on getting one recently because I didn't think I was ever going to be able to find a V100 I could afford. But in the eleventh hour...

Dieselsmoke, yes, I got it from Earl.

Cdub

Wow Rory, You've got yourself a great LITTLE project there. Looks like most of the difficult work has been done already....now it's time for the fun stuff to complete it...........Enjoy finishing it and keep us post with lots of pic to check out your progress.

Cheers,

C'dub

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarge, this is all your fault you know! I go to my buddy and say "I need objective advice, talk sense into me". What do I get? Picture, if you will, a very large fellow running around in circles shouting "Buy it! Buy it!" :D

Cdub, your avatar looks like me driving home from Houston friday with a grin touching my ears. Then I would think of the cheque I just wrote and go "gaaaaak!', but then I just went back to grinning.

And looks like my no-winch problem is already solved thanks to Wgtactical. Thank you!
Ya just gotta love the folks on this site.

Cheers

Cdub

Yea Rory........Love that avatar..........always reminds me of Me and my two kids driving in the five ton.....Hahahaha....

defently would fit any type of MV though.............Good luck with the new toy..........!!!

C'dub

Reactions: BBR

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Dang M813...most excellent score. That's gonna be one sweet vehicle. Now I'm wondering...gee, if I sell all my stuff...maybe i will have one tenth enough money to get one. Oh wait...there's the house..the dogs...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks