• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb from SE MI w/ M880

MattL

Hello, just picked up a well-used M880 so will be asking dumb questions about converting to power steering and Dodge rust issues.

Seems like a lot of good information here!

-Matt

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Nice '77. What are your plans? I can't help you with power steering much as mine came with it from the FD.

MattL

M880_Matt.jpg
Thanks for the welcomes.

I had been sort of looking for an older truck to handle various tasks, how could I resist something as cool as an old military truck? It's an M882 according to the tag on the dash.

My plans are to get PS on it, and fix little things and just use and abuse it. First up will be the steering, then probably wiring and some rust repair. Of course I did a horrible job of checking it out before I bought it, hence the discovery that the bottom 2" core support is non existent due to rust!

I am quickly learning about the 72-93 Dodges, as it seems that a surprising amount of stuff interchanges with some minor fiddling. I found a 79 Power Wagon parts truck locally that I grabbed the power steering box, mount, shaft and drag link as well as pump out of, as well as the fender and inner fender. But it seems that I need to read some more as the steering column must be different from manual to power steering as the donor truck had the coupler on the steering box and the M has the coupler on the end of the column...

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from a northern M880 hoarder...

You'll need a 78/79 steering column to go with the rest of those steering parts. or cut & weld yours.

the 77 has a reverse rotation steering box the 79 is std rotation, it can work, just have to change all the steering parts with it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And a hearty welcome from hurricane alley. M880 trucks are a well kept secret. Fine MV for your needs.

MattL

Interesting History

I am disassembling the front end of my truck prepping for the core support replacement and came across this. Not sure if this was someone in the past or if this was from the factory, driver's side of the core support, between the radiator and battery:
P1040215.jpgP1040214.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine had one wired into the front passenger corner support between the fender and the grill, hanging kind of behind the headlight.

MattL

I've been able to get a few things taken care of. For the steering I wound up going the Borgeson shaft route, and used a rag joint/ coupler on the box. I had found the box and pump locally off of a 79 not knowing that the steering column splines were different:

I found that the cab mounts were almost as bad as the core support, so I fixed those with some 3/16" plate.P1040274.jpgP1040272.jpgP1040285.jpg

Then I patched up a replacement core support with some angle iron, it should work ok and be hidden by all of the front end sheetmetal. Bear with me on the pictures, I think I have something wrong...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks