• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie checking out a deuce today??

andytk5

10/16/2011 - Going to be using this as my project thread.

I have been tracking down CUCV's with no luck, so I am stepping up to an M35 since there are a few around, privately.

Looks to be a 1968 year. Anything I should be aware of or checking out when I see it? I think it's about $4200 he is asking, no winch, not sure if there is a top or bows with it. Camo paint.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Jimma

Is the seller a member of SS? Where is the truck? I know of at least one person to stay away from down there. If you need help on the west coast of FLA send a PM to cessnatwin or pctrans. They may be able to provide info or help.

andytk5

i dont think the guy is a member. This is in NE fl and he has 2 trucks, the other has a brighter green in the camo scheme, and its another $1000+.

Thanks for the help.

Ill def put up some pics when i get back, thanks

Last edited:

andytk5

First impression was its in OK shape. Lots of coats of paint, very thick. Some rust but not any serious areas (that I saw) mainly surface. Windows/door latches were finicky. Bed area was a little rusted, frame looked great, dirty and a little surface rust but solid.

Air compressor worked, buzzer was on for a few mins then pressurized and went off, had to use some ether to crank it, then it fired rite up. Shifted ok, a little tough to get into some gears but seemed fined. Clutch felt good. Transfer case went into high and low. E-brake engaged and held, but rattled alot..

Tires looked great but all these observations are from me who has zero experience with these trucks.

Here are some pics. Can't get them to post full size.

Last edited:

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be a little leary of a deuce that needed ether to start in such warm weather. MIght be a fuel bleed down problem or possibly low compression; who knows. Good luck.

andytk5

Hmm..

Yeah I am waiting to see what the GL site looks like this week. Most of them are listed as driving to the site, just dead batts. Going to drive over there this week too.

flyusn99

Info

I'm local. I'd be happy to talk you through some of the things to be on the lookout for over the phone or I can show you in person if you'd like. PM me and I'll give you my number...

James

RealCavDog

$4200.00 ! Lots of coats of paint, some rust, . . . and ether to start in summer ?

Be patient grasshopper ! Do your research and look, look, and then . . . look again !

I got the bug, and almost jumped on a $1500.00 MONEY PIT , just to be in the game !

Will post the fruits of my spoils soon, but lets just say that good things come to those that wait ! WAAAAY ahead of were I would have been, just 7 months later and researching !

Do your research, weigh your options and values, look at a bunch of them, p.m. established SS members, and you will be much more informed and satisfied in the long run !

Good luck on your venture, Jay

andytk5

Thanks for all the replies to help the new guy out! Much appreciated. Definitely Looking at the gl listings for this week, would love to ride out there on my free day this week. Need a little help on the battery from, all I have found in they use the ut6l size? Going to male some calls tomorrow about where I can snag em. I have some hi amp 12v batts in my garage but I have no real exp with the 24v stuff or how they are wired, would guess series but maybe one of you guys can direct me on that.

I'll be scouring the "deuce" threads here to find as much as I can before making new threads.

Honestly the gl trucks look better than this one, just depends on how high the bidding goes. Noticed most/all have the single rear wheels instead of the duals like I saw on the truck today..
Thanks again fellas!!

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Welcome.

By NE Florida I assume you're in the Jacsonville area. Check GL they had a couple deuces in the Jacksonville area last time I checked. Read some of the tips posted on this site prior to bidding on GL before bidding though.

dilligaf13

Sorry missed the last post before I responded. They derive power from 2 twelve volt batteries wired in series. I've used Walmart batteries in the past and had no issues but would recommend better for long term use..

andytk5

Sorry missed the last post before I responded. They derive power from 2 twelve volt batteries wired in series. I've used Walmart batteries in the past and had no issues but would recommend better for long term use..
Oh ok, so basically 2 12v's just wired up. Quality is better like you said, and I dont know if mine are strong anymore, 6yr old Ill put them on the charger tonight and see.

Ill prob pick some up though, going to need them anyhow...

Last edited:

andytk5

The ether to start in the summer isn't a good thing...
Copy that.. Not even a consideration anymore.. On to better prospects!

What about flipping the "Firestone T831" tires inside out/dish out instead of flipping the hubs? Would this look weird, instead of doing the hub flip?

Last edited:
Having owned over 50 M35a2's if you have to use ether on one under 20 degrees walk away! The multifuel is a great cold weather starter. We had to move one last week and it was 28 degrees outside and the unit started within a second of cranking. Be also hesitant if the seller has the unit "warmed up" and running for you when you arrive as he might be hiding ether needed for startup or a knock, etc.

The 3053 5spd transmission should shift smooth in all gears and doesn't require double clutching, blimping the throttle, etc to make shifts go smoothly. If you can drive a Honda Civic 5spd you should be able to hop in an M35 and shift gears easily.

Good luck in your A2 search.

andytk5

Having owned over 50 M35a2's if you have to use ether on one under 20 degrees walk away! The multifuel is a great cold weather starter. We had to move one last week and it was 28 degrees outside and the unit started within a second of cranking. Be also hesitant if the seller has the unit "warmed up" and running for you when you arrive as he might be hiding ether needed for startup or a knock, etc.

The 3053 5spd transmission should shift smooth in all gears and doesn't require double clutching, blimping the throttle, etc to make shifts go smoothly. If you can drive a Honda Civic 5spd you should be able to hop in an M35 and shift gears easily.

Good luck in your A2 search.

Thanks for sharing on that, being a mechanical guy (seadoos, boats, cars etc..) that was kind of a red flag but I wouldnt have known how much of a red flag since I have very little exp with diesels.. so far..

I actually picked one up from GL so I'm just preppin the side yard now and looking at new filters/fluids, parts for power steering from the threads (HF54, 5ton pump, etc..) the since the girls are all about driving this thing.. Then A/C, prob from Nostalgic air. Then doing some rattle can surf rust/paint touch up (tan) and doing the undercoating/insulating in the cab, hood, etc..

The trucks wheels are singles with the dish facing in, narrow look. I wanted to know if I could just flip the wheels, not hubs, so they're dish out and a wider track. if there's a thread Ill gladly read that before starting any new one.

Thanks again everybody especially James for walking me through the EUC hoops!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks