• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from Chicagoland!!!!

FASTFISH

Hello all!!!!! I am a new member from the burbs of Chicago (St. Charles)!!! I just picked up a 1971 AM General M35A2!! This by far has to be one of the coolest vehicles i've ever owned (and i've owned alot). I have always wanted one of these because I do ALOT of four-wheeling with my 86 Jeep CJ-7 and I always thought that the M35A2 was one of the most ULTIMATE four-wheeling rigs around!!! My truck is a non turbo, no heat model (anyone know how I can get a heater for this thing) but it is a winch truck that drives GREAT!!! It is a troop carrier model which is cool!!! If I need any help with this beast, I will be asking you guys!!! Thanks for letting me join the club!!!!

Attachments

gt1009

Hey nice truck I can't believe there is another member from St.Charles on here! Anyways welcome to the site. You should be able to find any info you could ever need on here.

FASTFISH

Thanks, I appreciate it!!! Watch the streets, i'll be driving it soon, I gotta get plates and insurance on it first!!!! I will be painting it too, all army green!!!

boomer

Hi Fastfish,
Another "Boy from Illinois". GT too. Nice truck. First mv? I was not aware this was a club. (No dues, no meetings, etc.) we should all hook up, and show everyone what some real trucks are.

gt1009

Ya it would be awesome to get some sort of Chicagoland/Illinois rally going but I don't know any good off road spots around here. There's the cliffs but the blazer's about the biggest thing you can get in there. You guys know any good 4 wheelin spots around here?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I grew up near Sheridan Illinois and had 640 acres till the democrat death tax took it. We wheeled on it all the time in an old M38 from the Korean war that my Grandfather bought. I used to wheel in the sand dunes up in Northern Indiana you could drive off the pavement in many places and get back to excess steel mill property. Welcome to the club and I agree this is the best place to hang out for OD freaks.

skinnedknuckles

Nice looking truck, welcome to the world of O.D. It would be interesting to see if the Cliffs would allow our m35a2's bobbed or 6x. I have been down there quite a few times with my CJ-5 and had a good time. I would be great to get a bunch of us together and make a day of it.
Paul in Janesville, Wi
1945 CJ-2a
1955 CJ-5
1946 Bantam trailer
1966 m-416
1968 m 105
1971 m35a2 w/w
1971 m35a2 wo/w
1993 coil sprung YJ

FASTFISH

Hey ranchhopper, didn't know you where on here!!! Thanks for selling me the truck, I love it!!!! Hey, what kind of plates did you get for this truck??? As far as the Cliffs go, nah, won't allow full size trucks, especially M35's, but I hear maybe the Badlands will in the quarry, i'll have to find out!!!! I would love for us Chicagoland boys to meet up sometime, that would be cool!!!!!

54reo

Heh Guys Iam down in Peu, Illinois
Welcome to the site guys.

Although I live in IL, it is a whole other state down here. I have worked in Peru quite a bit through the years (Hennepin Power Plant, Illinois Cemet, Olgsby Cement Plant, etc) and always liked the Peru/LaSalle area. Lots of neat history in that part of the state.

If you are looking for an event to attend, make plans to hit the SS 10th Anniversary at Haspin this year. It's not too far away.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I grew up in Maquon, IL (about 250 miles SW of Chicago) and have lived in Abingdon, IL for the last 18 years, since retiring from the Air Force. The movers will be here tomorrow to move all my stuff to Lavonia, GA. (My M37 and associated parts are already there.) By Saturday, I'll be an ex-Illinois resident, but welcome to the forum anyway. :-D

chvss65

Heh All
I emailed the "Cliffs" in Marseilles and here is the response I received
I would still call to double check, just ne being anal
Later

Larry,
I don't see any problem except we don't allow tires over 39.5 in the park.
Kim

On Wed 19/11/08 8:05 PM , "thecliffsinsaneterrain.com" theclif1@web07.ahp.chi.affinity.com sent:

Hello Steve and Sara,

Is mlitary stuff allowed 2 1/2 Duece\'s and military versions of Blazers ect Thanks ;

Heh Guys Iam down in Peu, Illinois
just bought a M35A2 Bobbed gonna get it Monday
Ther is a for sure Jeep off-road [lace in Marseilles, Ill http://www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com/
Dont know if bigger trucks can do it gonna ask and post
Yeh lets try and get a Rally or somesort of gathering !!!!!!!!!

FASTFISH

I just got off the phone with Jim, one of the main guys at Cliffs, and he said he would allow our M35A2's in the bluffs because it's wide open, as well as some of the trails like Green 1 and 3. He said during the week right now is good because they're slow but he would appreciate a call first so he knows to expect us!!!! He has allowed the National Guard of Marseilles to enter with they're Humvees for training purposes. He said some trails will be to narrow to enter with our trucks though. They only allow a w.b. of 117" (I think) but he would make an exception for us if we wanted to come down!!! Any thoughts???

chvss65

Ya sounds good, I live in Peru so that only about 20 miles from me, so I know a bunch of good places for lunch etc (I ride harleysall over here)

Iam getting my truck Monday, so gotta get used to one again

Heh fastfish what plates are you gonna put on AV or flat rate truck

FASTFISH

Well from reading some of the posts on here, i'm thinking i'm gonna run A/V plates for now and hope I don't get caught or pulled over since they're only good up to 8,000 pds and my M35a2 is 13,600 pds.

dc3coyote

Hey MouseGirl will be heading to Chicago tomorrow, she has allready borrowed my artic parka and heavy clothes. she has gotten spoiled by the warm Fl weather.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks