• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newly aquired m1009...wiring issues

WalkingToFreedom402

Hello, I recently purchased a M1009 & have begun tracing wires & reading Technical Manuals.

The previous owner only had the truck for a few months. He claims that the starter 'was acting up' so he replaced it. It hasn't ran since.
There are 2 wires which were clearly burnt up near the terminal block...one comes off of the rear battery negative cable & the other appears to head to the drivers side alternator.

I began by disconnecting & removing the starter to verify that it had a 24 v solenoid which it did. I left the starter unhooked & taped the leads for testing purposes. I installed 2 new batteries & rigged up fuses in case I had a short. I followed a battery diagram that I found on this site. I connected the rear battery positive, then the negative, then the positive on the front battery(which goes to the negative on the rear), then the front battery negative which is grounded to the block/frame. Neither fuse popped but within 15 seconds I saw smoke coming from one of the terminals & quickly disconnected it.

I would love some opinions on what the previous owner may have done incorrectly & any recommendations on which direction that I go with my troubleshooting.

I have spent some time reading posts on this forum...just looking for some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I should also include that it came with no batteries & that I comfirmed the trucks operation from another previous owner who did state that he had some sort of a drain on the batteries the entire time that he owned it.

cpf240

Thanks for the responses. I had not previously heard of 1 alternator being ungrounded....I will research that.
I am also going to look further into the condition of all of the cables. Thanks guys!
In stock form, both alts are 'isolated ground' which means that the are not grounded through the case, as most alts are. In the case of GEN 1 - driver's side - there is a ground wire connected to the intake manifold and the ground stud on the alt. GEN 1 can be replaced with a standard alt. However, GEN 2 - passenger side - *MUST* be an isolated ground, as it uses the output of GEN 1 as its ground reference, which gets the 24v output from what is really a 12v alternator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks