• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC-250 Rods, Liners and Pistons

5_TON_TOMATOE

Will all these parts interchange between engines? I picked up some piston and liners from a newer model, and there is some slight differences to them, as in the rings have a different spacing, the rods have bolts instead of nuts, and the liners have a longer shoulder at the bottom. Before I get too excited, just want some input- Thanks
My engine/ truck is a 74'- Parts I got are dated 98'

Ajax MD

Apparently there are several versions in the NHC family...small cam, big cam and whatnot.

Did these pistons and liners come out of another engine or are they "new" and meant for a newer model engine?

If you pulled them from another engine, go back and snap a photo of the tag on the engine block near the power steering pump of the donor engine. That will help us identify what parts you have and whether or not they are compatible.

5_TON_TOMATOE

Apparently there are several versions in the NHC family...small cam, big cam and whatnot.

Did these pistons and liners come out of another engine or are they "new" and meant for a newer model engine?

If you pulled them from another engine, go back and snap a photo of the tag on the engine block near the power steering pump of the donor engine. That will help us identify what parts you have and whether or not they are compatible.
I think I did enough research to tell me I can't, and WillWagner messaged me back to confirm. Too new, turbo model, different compression ratio, weight of rods and pistons, etc

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shouldn't mix stud and bolt rods, they are different weights. Pistons are a PP, or performance part and are CPL specific. Incorrect pistons for the other PPs that are called out in the CPL can result in a smoke machine. Other PPs are cam and key....the base engine timing is set with a key that is offset on the cam gear and final injection timing is set via shims on the cam followers...., injectors, heads, but not really, xxxx100 or xxxx101, or is it 300 or 301, I forget but it was just port size and has since been nulled, BUT the non turbo engine still needs vented heads! Progression of piston development resulted in going from a 4 ring to 3 ring design which in turn changed the bowl geometry. Liners longer below the seals is just liner progression. The dimensions for a STD 213740 or 3055099 liner are the same, that liner is good for use with upper or lower press fit applications, it just depends on how the block is cut. If there was a shim installed it was for a cracked counter bore that was machined or it was an early attempt to stop coolant leaks from the counterbore. IIRC a STD shim was .010 and there was a .020 available. If the block is using the LPF deesign, it will have a .020 shim, it was there to prevent the block and liner from fretting and popping a head gasket.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, HEADS have nothing on them. They are flat. IF there is a mark that you can feel, the head is in need of exchange/machining. The pic above indicates water in the combustion chamber. See the little pits that go up to the seats? If they were just pocked around the face and not at the seats, i'd call it good, but, what you can't see is if the coolant has, due to the pitting on the seat and head, found a way between/under the seat. When that happens, seats drop and cause ugly damage, repairable if it is shut off, but alot of work. If it were me, I would buy remans. Also something to remember, these things don't do the miles that trucks do, so, there s a 50-50 possibility that nothing will happen, or will happen. Just would suck to have to do the work twice.

And yes, seen it happen. "Budget" overhaul, nothing wrong with that, but heads recommended just for this reason, customer declined. Put it together, dyno tested fine, the customer took it and a couple of days later, back on a hook with a bad knock. Dropped a seat on one of the better heads, debris throughout the engine....when seats drop, the pieces parts will bounce back into the intake and visit other cylinders wiping them out...also took out a cam follower pin, it was a big cam, those were tough. A small cam weak link is follower pins. Assumed warranty, when it was pulled down and found the root failure, the guy was not happy. Ended up doing a high dollar NOW overhaul

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never SEEN that before, but I think I heard of a place called Heads Excellsweld, a VERY long time ago, doing that. If it was running with that, F- it, run it again. Again, gotta mention pitting, I6 don't look good, but see above post.

Reactions: 98G

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might have lied. Thinking about it, I do remember ReCon doing something like that a very long time ago.

5_TON_TOMATOE

Well, its in the cummins book, but the diesel gurus where I picked up the in frame kit said it's a nuthin burger. 2 heads are much newer, 1 might be original. When I did the heads, I checked the seats and there not loose, no leakage with vacuum after assembly. That pitted Intake valve is great on the under side- As much as I run it, hoping it will be fine :rolleyes:

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks