• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC-250 turbo installed on M923A1

crewcab454

I thought I would post some pics of my turbo install. After reading several post on here I wanted to add power to my 250 cummins. I salvaged all the main parts from a local big truck wrecking yard. The turbo alone made very little difference to me. Just a nice whistle. I installed my egt gauge and I was only seeing 800-850 pre turbo. I pulled my pump apart and it had a 30 button in it. I slowly stepped down to 20 then 17 then 10 and I am at a #5 button now. I see 1150 pre turbo on a long pull with the 5. It has 5" exhaust to a 6" stack and sounds mean. It runs like a total different truck. Very little smoke, 15-16psi boost, and actually has some power now. the air filter is temporary and I am fabricating the tubing to hook up to my original air filter now. Anyway, thanks for all the information and I hope my pics can help someone as yalls have helped me.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
250's do not like heat. When you turn the fuel to them you have to know how to drive them. You do not want to keep your foot in the fuel on a hard pull. Back off the throttle and let it pull in a gear it's happy with. Even with a turbo and pyro you can get it hot before you know it.

trukhead

Nice fab work! Some place in PA about 10 years ago talked of how the modded 400 big cams to put out 800 hp for the over the road rigs. The truckers talked of not needing to down shift for most hills. Things like Moly coated pistons and cams and such. Maybe the 250 needs a little hot rodding?

crewcab454

Thanks trukhead and I agree. And yes jdk it is 5" exhaust pipe. A short straight piece , a 45, and a 90. The rubber elbows I picked up at a local truck salvage yard.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When/if you ever load the truck and drive it, I think you'll be melting down.

jdknech

Thanks trukhead and I agree. And yes jdk it is 5" exhaust pipe. A short straight piece , a 45, and a 90. The rubber elbows I picked up at a local truck salvage yard.
this is the only thing lacking on mine.. thanks for the info.. only thing i have to figure out now is my heater core box.. the turbo sits right in the way of it..

crewcab454

That's why I installed a pyro. I pull a car hauler occasionally now that I finished my hitch and trailer lighting. 99% of the time it is empty. I never see over 900 running around town. My heater box is in the stock location. It is very close to the turbo.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks