• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

night vision driving inexpensively to your offroad camp spot... Lanmodo

coachgeo

> Night vision military style of any value for driving.... about 5grand and up new... 3 grand and up used.
> Alibababa night vision IR camera's HQ.... about thousand bucks
> Lanmodo night vision car/truck cameras..... well this is interesting. max 500 bucks?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
> Night vision military style of any value for driving.... about 5grand and up new... 3 grand and up used.
> Alibababa night vision IR camera's HQ.... about thousand bucks
> Lanmodo night vision car/truck cameras..... well this is interesting. max 500 bucks?

I can't swear to it, but reading this (the linked page) it seems like a "crowd funded" project. It won't be out of development and into production until April of 2022. I was a part of a RPV helicopter deal like this and it fell on its face and everyone (most everyone?) lost their money. Couple hundred bucks... It was a learning experience for me. Their marketing was amazing though and goofy old me signed up, paid my money and waited for about 18 months. Then got the notice they were closing up shop and returning money that hadn't been spent.

So, that is Point one. I lived, learned and lost.

Point two is that this is a camera and a LCD display that will sit on your dash. Regular cameras have night vision these days and you could buy what they are selling for less if you felt the need to have it. Shop around for in-car camera systems and you will see what I mean (in my opinion).

Point three is a little more important I think. This thing isn't at all like a set of NVG (Night Vision Goggles). There are cheap knockoff NVG and really good NVG. There are mono and dual vision setups. Trying to just walk with them on to start with, so imagine trying to drive with them on!

I have rifle scopes that do that work. I have wearable devices too. These days, I wouldn't hesitate to get in my truck and rip off down the highway. I don't claim expert status in the use of NVG, but I would feel safe driving with them on. (Requires the head room in a MV or my van or similar to operate)

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, a bunch of video recording trickery going on in those promos.

Plenty of these in different cheap brands for around $100 already on Amazon. I own several brands with DVR function that I have in all my vehicles. They work great for dash cams in case of a incident, but your not going to drive by them, certainly not in “real” darkness without illumination.

Does anyone know of night vision in true color?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yep, a bunch of video recording trickery going on in those promos.

Plenty of these in different cheap brands for around $100 already on Amazon. I own several brands with DVR function that I have in all my vehicles. They work great for dash cams in case of a incident, but your not going to drive by them, certainly not in “real” darkness without illumination.

Does anyone know of night vision in true color?
The January issue of Stars and Stripes had an article on x27 color night vision (super upgraded starlight technology).

coachgeo

Applogies... did not relay that did bit of research already before posting.

two previous versions of this product is on the market and their are numerous reviews of them on youtube. actually the one in the indiegogo already has a youtube review and NOT by the manufacture.

the third version from this indiegogo campaign as well as the previous version is being sold on Amazon

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Does it work? Yes.
Does it work well? Ehh.
Do you have any depth perception? No.

If you really want something like this, two PVS-14's with G3 tubes and a IR source wins hands down. Or if there's moonlight, no need for IR source.

I get this all the time when talking to people about guns. People constantly ask me about the ATN and other "night vision" gear. It's all the same crap. A CCD that is sensitive and a small monitor on the other side. Yes, it does work. But if you've ever used real NV gear, they're not on the same level.

Thermal though, that's the way to go. But I'm poor.

Third From Texas

IMO, if you're not stealthing about at night (and you sure as hell won't be sneaking up on someone in your LMTV) then there are a lot of viable display options for any old little backup camera w NV (ie: most all of them). Put a really strong illuminator on the front of the truck and a nice 12' display. It's enough to get and keep your bearings.

The used surplus NV gear is usually at the end of it's a lifespan (they "fade" and get dimmer with age, I forget the term). The new stuff is st00pid expensive. The cheap crap is...just that.

I honestly can think of no reason anyone should be cruising around in a truck of this size and weight running dark. Unless it were during the Boogaloo/combat in which case everyone on all sides is going to be shooting at you (including me) just to be sure...

;)

williamh

Driven a lot with nvg. Not in a “urban” area but there was still a Sharp learning curve.

I thought the idea when driving with “night vision” was to be in a total blackout condition so you can see while driving and not be seen , I E blackout lights etc. but turning on a 12” lcd monitor inside the cab ? How’s that helping with night vision ?? 🤨.I get using a camera that has a high grade lens to see the Most available light but once you turn on the TV in the cab. You loose. 🤔

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Driven a lot with nvg. Not in a “urban” area but there was still a Sharp learning curve.

I thought the idea when driving with “night vision” was to be in a total blackout condition so you can see while driving and not be seen , I E blackout lights etc. but turning on a 12” lcd monitor inside the cab ? How’s that helping with night vision ?? 🤨.I get using a camera that has a high grade lens to see the Most available light but once you turn on the TV in the cab. You loose. 🤔
Somewhat like it would be if you had a Coleman lantern in the cab of your truck...
Bang.
You're Dead...

Third From Texas

Again, I'm not talking about running in a blackout situation.

But as I said, no one needs to outside of combat, LEO, or criminal operations? If it ain't the Boogaloo, if you ain't LEO, or if you're not running cartel products across the desert than it's a bit nonsensical, IMO. In fact, I dare say dangerous a **** for some numbnuts to slap on a set of NGV (real or Amazon crap) and decide to try and drive around to see how cool it is. *not you Colt, you're trained so it's cool when you do it ;)

And IMO it's excessively pointless to spend several grand on a dependable piece of gear just to drive around in the dark in your LMTV unless you are (see above: insurrectionist, cop, drug runner).

But my 12' display for the cameras is on in my cab anytime the truck is running day or night. It's zero intrusive and has never interfered with my driving at night (on or off road). I can see details on the screen in the dark that are not visible normally. To me, *that* is useful (especially crawling around on a trail or at the beach at night). It's far easier than turning on the spots.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Somewhat like it would be if you had a Coleman lantern in the cab of your truck...
Bang.
You're Dead...
You driving around on your property/the beach/a trail at night and someone is shooting at you? Did they see you or just hear the truck ?

We're not really discussing combat use here if I'm not mistaken. I doubt GeoPen is signing up/re-enlisting. And if he does, they will give him a free pair to use..

Again, I was just making three points:

1) driving a civilian LMTV down the road in blackout mode is cringe as f*** dangerous (and a good way to roll over or some shit if you have no training)
2) we're not at war (yet) so what's the point? And if we were you'd better have REAL NGVV and I'd advise not driving a military vic unless you want to take fire
3) if you want something to aid with visibility (beyond just your lights) a simple backup camera with IR does in fact work

:)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you wanted to not break the bank but wanted to put alot of infared light out in front of you. Buy some infared filters i bought a couple differnt sise pairs years back from SWFA im pretty sure that was the name of the optics sales co . Then depending the sise of the light lense you want to cover i used oil filters ends and epoxied the lenses in so you can place them over your head lights or what ever your light source . Much easier for round but you can shape mold to fit any thing !IMG_1958.PNG

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, you'd use TWO pvs-14's, and that's just to maintain depth perception. Field of view is reduced in just about all NVG. Save for some of the exclusively high end 4/6 tube headsets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks