• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not all winch levers are created equal!

moriboy

A few weeks ago I broke my winch clutch lever, but found a replacement at white owl. When I broke the original one, I thought that it seemed pretty light duty.
Today, the replacement showed up and to my surprise, this one is not light duty!
The one that was on my truck is cast aluminum. The new one I received today is cast iron. The levers are identical in every way, even the same nsn number.
Just wanted to share this with you guys in the event you ever need to replace yours.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you; just learned something more here, about our winches! :D

Although I believe the Fe ones are not cast but forged...?

G.

Last edited:

moriboy

I knew something was different when I picked the new one up for the first time, it is much heavier!

spicergear

-G, All the ones I've seen were forged as well.

Wow, and aluminum one?? All things considered though, it should be fine as it's not a hard pull IF the winch is being operated correctly. It's probably some diecast POS that WILL break sooner or later though...

On the 20,000lb Garwoods I think it's interesting that some of the roller fairlead mounts are aluminum and some are iron.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........ All things considered though, it should be fine as it's not a hard pull IF the winch is being operated correctly. It's probably some diecast POS that WILL break sooner or later though.......
Agree 100%. A good piece of forged/ tempered AL would perform well and prolly last forever.
Still wondering if this (the OP's) AL handle was a "prehistoric" version of some kind...?

moriboy: is there a dataplate telling who the (re)manufacturer was??
Any other visual differences?

G.

moriboy

Here is a picture of the broken one. I'm sure it would have outlasted me, but I kicked it when climbing around trying to do a valve adjust. I'll look and see if the data plates have any readable info, they are pretty beat up and faded.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks