• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oddest load moved in a deuce???/ SS airforce??

scooter01922

Well gents i haven't been on much lately, just been fresh out of time. Generally speaking just too busy working on projects to write about them :roll: These darned projects keep following me home.....i swear. Anyway, this one just got carted home in the deuce yesterday. I must say it fits almost too well back there. Might just become its usual form of transport once its done. A pair of ramps a few straps and off i go. Needs some repairs, an engine and a coat of paint. Thinking perhaps OD green with army stars, maybe strata blue...not sure yet, and no rush either. One thing is for certain, i want it to look natural being hauled by the deuce and look even cooler in the air. I imagine a nice flowing script reading "scoot-air express" on the sides :) Yes i know the tail doesn't look right in the pic, the horizontal stabilizer isn't really installed, just there for the pic. The navy wildcat ...potential color scheme perhaps???

Attachments

scooter01922

Sadly no it will be nowhere near done for the GA rally, though i ought be there. Its a first strike bobcat built from plans, with a few mods you can make it a supercat, i'll likely do that. Adds a few braces and a couple struts and is a lot more sturdy. The plane as designed should take off in 150 feet and cruise at about 75 MPH. I plan a full set of avionics and radio gear so i can actually go somewhere. Currently has no powerplant but was designed with a number of options in mind. Previously flew with a rotax 447 driving a 2.58-1 gearbox with the former owner. My plans are to use whats known as a 1/2 VW conversion. Basically you cut a 1600cc VW bug engine in half and end up with a horizontally opposed aircooled twin cly engine of about 30 HP. Going to build that myself this winter so i KNOW everything is up to spec on the engine. Heres a pic for reference, best one i could find quickly. Open headers naturally and sounds very WW2 radial engine ish IMO, heres a vid of a very similar plane with a 1/2 VW engine. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-4eYTkyvIo&feature=related[/media]
If i do everything right i should end up with a 300 Lb plane (+ or - a bit depending on options i choose) that will hold use appx 2 gal of gas an hour, hold 8 gallons of fuel and cruise comfortable at 75-80 mph. The design was made to withstand + 5.5 g's and - 4.2 so its a real sturdy design that should hold up really nicely.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I gotta' buy an ultralight.

scooter01922

Keep your eyes peeled clinto, they aren't cheap....well usually aren't cheap. Wasn't really looking but this one sat on the local craigslist so long it got to the point where i couldn't say no. Plans to build this plane are still avaialble for 125$ and takes about 400 hours of labor so they say. I figure i saved myself at least 350, though tough to say untill i really start the needed repeirs. The engine might take me a while too, though i'll be taking my time on that build. Prob have as much into that engine as the rest of the project when all is said and done. Technically she will be too heavy to be an ultralight, those have to be under some asinine Govt number, 256 lbs springs to mind. Thats ok though as i'll just register her as an experimental light sport aircraft. You do need a lic to fly those but i have enough hours and stuff from my privates pilots training to qualify so no additional cost there.

scooter01922

Pretty sweet ABN though if i was gonna get a rotorcraft (oh yeah and had cash) i would totally need this....The worlds smallest TURBINE powered helicopter :-0 Cause everyone knows turbines kick ass.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5slM2JWYnBw[/media]

ABN173

Hey Scooter,

As part of my UAV training I had to knock out FAA ground school. Right after the school I PCS'd back to FT Benning and was looking at the local flight club to get my hours but I was deployed for 15 months so I never got to start. Needless to say my two years are up so I'd have to start over now. Gotta love deployments:?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet little tiny aircraft!

Nice load of firewood, too!

As for "unusual" loads - I have little to contribute, but that my spare engine (in the can) still resides in the bed of the ARK. Anticipate setting in temporary storage in the back yard in the coming days. 3000 lbs is a bit tough to just dump off the tailgate.

scooter01922

I did look into those 4x4, the weight VS power was an issue though. The smaller is only rated at like 18 horses IIRC and weighs 100 or so lbs. The 1/2 VW benifits from the original bug engines having a magnesium block and being generally light in nature. Should be able to get an honest 30 horses for around 80 or so lbs in weight. Not that i wouldn't change my mind if i was corrected. As long as it has a decent fuel burn rate, weighs less than 100 lbs and can be made utterly relaible then its on my list. Oh and trying to avoid the annoying drone of a short lived 2 stroke. Feel much safer in the air with a nice 4 stroke that i have personally held each piece of :)

Wrench Wench

Maybe that's what someone could repurpose the turbine in a MEP-362A for. Is it big enough to generate enough torque to generate enough lift for a human and craft?

ABN: If training for UAV duty, could you get credit for building and learning to fly a large RC model? I understand there was some pressure on the FAA to accept proficiency with Microsoft Flight Simulator in lieu of some hours of ground school.

Personally, I have an aversion to full scale rotorcraft. The whole human vegematic concept does not appeal to me. In R/C models, though, it's easier to police up all the pieces of a model rotorcraft you're putting through hover tests than it is to go pick up the pieces of a plane that was doing in excess of 100 mph when it augered in.

Carl_in_NH

I really wish you hadn’t posted that video of the turbine powered single place ship. Back in the early 90’s, I flew R22’s out of a training school in Southern New Hampshire; flying a helicopter is truly the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Unfortunately, flying rotorcraft was a rich man’s hobby, and I did not qualify as rich enough, so ended up backing away from it after solo in order to pay bills and feed my family. Now I’m looking at it again, and thinking how easy it would be to get another ten years of life out of the car, and spend that money that would be spent on a car on a kit helicopter instead.

Bad thought. it’s just what I need – another project.

Nonotagain

I really wish you hadn’t posted that video of the turbine powered single place ship. Back in the early 90’s, I flew R22’s out of a training school in Southern New Hampshire; flying a helicopter is truly the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Unfortunately, flying rotorcraft was a rich man’s hobby.

Bad thought. it’s just what I need – another project.
Friends don't let friends fly piston driven helicopters.

Both R22 and R44's are accidents waiting to happen.

I can't tell you how many tail rotor gear boxes I've seen on both craft with enough metal in them to be grounded.

My local police department was flying a Schweizer 300, under 50 hrs on a NEW Lycoming engine when it chucked a rod thru the block. At 400 feet there was no time to recover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks