• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Pressure has left the building.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good or bad luck, I'm not certain. The other day I started the SECMish CUCV to be treated to a big red idiot light telling the idiot that there is an oil pressure problem. Today I finally switched out the sender but still had a warning light. Hooked up a gauge and confirmed the worse. Odd that it was working fine when parked. I hope to start looking into it later this week. First thing I'll do is pull the vac pump and check the drive. If that pans out I'll try running up the oil pressure with a drill. If all else fails, drop the pan. Crap, this isn't the time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'll just have to come down a tad before the rally worst comes to worst, and swap the motor out.

POst up what you find.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just ordered a pump, drive and pan gaskets to have them onhand. If it looks to be more than I have time for, I'll just drive the bambalance. **** thing needs a 454 anyways.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crud, a while back I had obtained a HMMWV oil pump drive. My plan was to insta this during the oil pump diagnosis and repair. Now I can't find the dang thing anywhere. This stinks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I'm slow. Finally pulled the pan today and I must say, I'm dissapointed. The oil pump drive is fine and I see nothing wrong with the pump, inside or out. I haven't pulled the vac pump yet but don't see how that can fail. Will try to reassemble tomorrow and hope for the best.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a new oil pump on hand and it will be installed. I'm also removing vac pump and replacing it with a tach drive oil pump drive.

Tinstar, love the avatar Sir. 160th SOAR has been at the port many times doing training missions with a few SEAL teams. They housed their birds at my brother's hangar. Those guys bring new meaning to the word fearless.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a new oil pump on hand and it will be installed. I'm also removing vac pump and replacing it with a tach drive oil pump drive.

Tinstar, love the avatar Sir. 160th SOAR has been at the port many times doing training missions with a few SEAL teams. They housed their birds at my brother's hangar. Those guys bring new meaning to the word fearless.
Flew with them my entire Army Aviation career.
Best bunch of guys ever.

Of course we did have the best toys to play with.......

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am completely perplexed here. Thus far I can't find anything wrong here. Vac pump was just fine. Oil pump drive rod intact. This morning I spun up the old oil pump with a drill. Cupped my hand over the pickup and it sucked like normal. I did open the pump up and looked fine.

Installed new pump, drive rod and buttoned it back up. Tapped my temp gauge into where the sending unit is and preoiled. Pressure came right up. Installef oil pump drive and lit it up. We have oil pressure again. Gheez, guess I should just be happy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks