• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Generator gift

TheBishop

A friend going into a nursing home gave me an old Military generator.

I've been looking over the internet for a week trying to locate another generator that looks like this one. It's single cylinder gas Kohler brand, and the large KOHLER is the only lettering still visible on the unit.

The other day when I brought it home I had trouble figuring the old unit out. So I went and picked up Mario and brought him to my home, and in 30 seconds he had the generator running. I had pulled and cleaned the fuel take a fuel line, new spark plug and charged the battery as soon as I got the unit home.

It had not run in two years but it fired and ran smoothly. There are no gauges although there are locations to add gauges.
I've ordered a Kill-A-Watt meter to test the output too be able to test the values. He told me this generator ran his whole house after any hurricane and he allowed two neighbors to plug 1 110V extension cord for their Fridges.

My question is does anyone know how old this unit could be?

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum. You unit looks WWII to me. I have never seen one like it, but that does not mean much. Back then, any and every mfgr was making generators for the war effort with no standardization. Looks to be 4kW? You might ask over on the "Smokstack" forum, they are good with generator IDs as well.

dmetalmiki

What a fabulous old unit. What does the data plate say on the bottom right picture 3? (three fridges and other lights seems a whole load of required power). Well over 4 K.W.

TheBishop

The Decal in the lower right says, Kohler Controller.

Kohler on the back too. All the other ID locations had been rubbed off or scratched off.

I'm going to clean it up some and try to remove some of the aged grime, but I'm shocked that it runs at all, and runs smooth. Maybe some lettering will appear after some scrubbing. My fear is that I may rub some ID information off.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can determine the engine HP, you will have an idea of the KW rating. Rule of thumb is 2HP per KW.

TheBishop

I cleaned a bit more and found 3.5RM 62, K331EP on the engine.

Looks old and is old but it runs like new.

How old is it. Does the K331EP on the Kohler engine date it at all?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks