• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Willys..Military.

Fossilman

Hey you Mechanics........It's been over 40+ years since I twisted a wrench on a jeep..Question..
Front axle "drive shaft" assembly to axle-what is the torque information on the nut that tightens to the axle...??
The rear is 120 foot pounds,would it be the same as the front!
Thank you.............

A younger friend of mine inherited his Dads Willys jeep,it's old Navy stock-still has old blue paint job and markings on it, want to keep it as stock as he can...
Going through the jeep from front to back, making it road worthy....
He came to me with this question, I'll be dogs if I can answer it....
I looked in the manuals as he did also, no answers...

It's a "51" model Willys... No more info, only seen it one time..."Sorry"

dmetalmiki

Well I just had to answer you. I could not (for the life of me) puzzle out which nut you are inquiring about. The only one I could think off ( I did not succumb to putting a "PUN" at this point!) is at the END of the drive shaft. And is tightened "enough" for the split pin to go in. I have had my oldest jeep over 55 years (holy c..!) how time flies. And that jeep has Never Seen a torque wrench in it's life. Still going strong..still original. this will get you back to the top..my 1/2 penne'th.

Fossilman

Heck I'm use to "puns"...LOL Its been over 40+ years since I even been under a jeep..(Us Army)..I have forgot more mechanics, than the beginners have been taught...LOL
If it is the the nut at the end of the shaft, than yes, enough for the pin to set it..
He said he had to torque the rear nut,that went to the drive shaft..120 FP..
That being said, I would have thought it would be the same "front and rear"......

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No torque specs are given in TM9-1804B Power Train M38 for the Dana 25 front axle pinion nut. So I would tighten it to 100 ft-lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks