• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Orange 6TLs????

Scrounger

Those look like the commercial Hawker AGM batteries. Hawker generally won’t sell the “military” 6TL AGM batteries to the public. However, they do make a commercial version that they do sell. And yes they are expensive.

Guyfang

Staff member
I'll tell you why. A Hawker Rep. I met in Bamberg Germany, took a Battery Charger that they had made just for their Hawker batteries, and went down range. He went to two DRMO's there, and collected 200+ batteries from one DRMO, and 150+ from another. The normal army battery chargers all would NOT/could not, under and circumstances, charge or restore any of the batteries. This young guy spent several weeks there working through the batteries. He charged and or restored, for all intents and purposes, saved, every battery except 5, read that FIVE BATTERIES, out of the whole lot. Over 350 batteries. 182,000 dollars worth of our tax dollars.

I personally have NEVER seen a bad Hawker. Every one I ever found "bad", I was able to recharge. Yes they can be a PITA. Some take FOREVER to recover. But they are indestructible.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally have NEVER seen a bad Hawker. Every one I ever found "bad", I was able to recharge. Yes they can be a PITA. Some take FOREVER to recover. But they are indestructible.
Agreed. The special AGM chargers available sit there for weeks pulsing the batteries and knocking off the sulfates, keeping them alive seemingly forever.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What chargers are recovering AGMs without fail? I've been through several optimas that even an AGM charger can't restore.

Guyfang

Staff member
Optima is not Hawker. And I like Optima. But it's still not Hawker. The last few years I have heard lots of people complain about Optima, since production went south of the border. I don't know, been away from hands on battery stuff since 2010 or 2011.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Optima clearly isn't Hawker, but NDT made a comment about AGM chargers in general. If there is a better AGM charger out there that could help these newer garbage optimas I'd like to know about it. My father kept an old optima red top going for 15 years, but you're lucky to get three out of the newer optimas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks