• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh FMTV

32degrees67

I was wondering since Oshkosh got the contract to build the FMTV was there any major changes to the design or is it the same as the S&S/BAE trucks.

sandcobra164

I wouldn't be surprised if they install independent TAK-4 Suspension (MTVR fame) in the near future. From what I heard during attendance at MRAP University, it's becoming a requirement for all MRAP's in theater and I'm sure Oshkosh wouldn't mind doing so upgrades to keep Uncle Sam happy.

Westech

CPL
yeah the old ones are JUNK!! well really the only problem I ever had with them is stuck injectors and brakes freezening up in the cold (locking on). O and doors falling off, door handels braking of, windows falling out, CTIS freaking out, and heaters SUCK!! I froze my butt off for two winters in them.

Nonotagain

yeah the old ones are JUNK!! well really the only problem I ever had with them is stuck injectors and brakes freezening up in the cold (locking on). O and doors falling off, door handels braking of, windows falling out, CTIS freaking out, and heaters SUCK!! I froze my butt off for two winters in them.
Other that these problems, they are great trucks for those that like to work on their trucks.

Tell us how ou really feel about the FMTV Westy.:cool:

mudguppy

the injectors are standard Cat parts - so then you must have problems with Cats, period. in 3 years, we had one stuck injector from a QM unit in the BN - a combined fleet of about 300 FMTV/LMTVs.

and the brakes freeze because operators do not drain the air tanks as often as they are supposed to - this freezes first at a check valve that prevent air from leaving the brake chambers.

i don't disagree w/ any of the fit/finish comments about the cab components. we never had CTIS problems, though.

oh - and what mil vehicle has a good heater, let alone where you are????? :lol:

Reactions: emr

sandcobra164

oh - and what mil vehicle has a good heater, let alone where you are????? :lol:

I'm sure the Artic Heater in my Deuce would satisfy some northerner's!!!

sandcobra164

My Guard Unit just received 2 of them. The cabs have suicide doors now, the MHE Crane is different as well. I'll get some pics on Monday.

Whitey

10t payload, that is any 5t truck payload for on road
Glad someone point that out. It seems that most people are unaware in the difference in cargo capacity off-road vs. on-road.

Someone should make up a shirt that says "My Deuce Carries 5 Tons, Ask Me How." I'm just nerdy enough to wear it!

Hasbeen

I worked on a RESET project for FMTV a while back that had a lot of initial confusion regarding the powertrain availabilty. I never heard what the actual truth was, or credible
facts.
Supposedly, the 3116 early, and 3126 late cat engines were no longer available thru
Cat factory due to Tier 4 Emissions requirements for their commercial markets.
Therefore the current revision level replacement for FMtV was the C7 "ACERT" ENGINE. This engine upgrade also required a Transmission or at least controller (TCM) upgrate to TIDA 4 / 3070SP.

I guess it would depend on whether or not Oshkosh was building the powertrain, or buying it, or if the story about Cat dropping the "non emmision" engines from their program was accurate.

The folks we worked with elected to rebuild, so the configuration remained as they were on "major assemblies" with only minor upgrades.

Hasbeen

Ressoldier

I like the FMTV family but the wrecker is a little light duty. The one main issue I had with them was when they convert from the standard cab to an Up armored cab. The cab lift system was not upgraded for the massive weight gain and we would have issues with the hinges, pumps and the cab catch in the back. We have also had several solenoid/ ECM issues for the transmission.

I do like the ride and the performance of this family of vehicle though and pulls the grades with trailer nicely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks