• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our museum M-113

EwaMarine

We ddont have the money yet for a M-2 for the roof...and we need to short track both sides due to stretch..Also we need periscopes pretty bad...We painted this with PPG and the interior with krylon "Celery"....Its all volunteer work and donation to keep this thing runable and displayable...If anyone out there can help us , we will take your donations of parts or money. All the gear you see is from our volunteers and reenactors...This track was painted in the markings of a 3/4 Cav ACAV from our hometown 25th ID "Tropic Lightning" Here in Hawaii...the pics are from the 07 Hickam AFB /Thunderbirds show...
We reaaly do need your help Steel Soldiers!!!!

Jeepsinker

Looks pretty good! I'm surprised you need to short track it before wearing the rubber pads off. I've seen periscopes fairly cheap but I can't remember where. Sportman's guide maybe?

EwaMarine

You can see the tracks even look kinda loose in the pic of her returning back to the motor pool....I think from memory they are not supposed to touch the road wheels...Not looking forward to that job..both sides need it...

Jeepsinker

Just run the adjusters all the way back in, take out a link or two, and then take up whatever small amount of slack is left. Do you have the track maintenance tools?

EwaMarine

No track tools. We were going to see about begging the local Marine AMTRAC guys to see if they would be able to loan us the right tools...Track jacks and such...The tracks are all worn down rubber wise and leave divits in the deck...

Jeepsinker

Oooh yeah.... Gotta have the track tools. You could probably strong arm the parts and just make due with some heavy tools, but I'm not sure. I am not an experienced track mechanic.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only saw guys breaking track on the bradley once, but it looked like a decent sledge hammer and a big punch were the biggest tools. We ended up with a spare pallet work of track pads after the Bradley was unexpectedly taken in for reset. those were just standard big bolts. not sure what the M113s are. I imagine if you ask around 25th enough you'll find someone who has a set sitting back in a tool room somewhere. That or if they have a FRSH, it should have the tools, I think.

ke5eua

Track is a pain but also easy if you have the right resources.

If you have to pull the track all the way off then this is what we would do on the 88 and m1.

Use your wrecker and pull the apc on the track leaving about 3 feet at the end of the drive sprocket. The use the little winch and pull the track over the drive sprocket and a little further. Now use the winch cable to tighten the halves of the track together to bolt it back and your done. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks