• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Outage, Pending Move

mangus580

Well, our host kicked us off again! It looks like sometime this week, we will be doing some moving. During this time, some users may notice some interruptions...

Please hang tight :D

mangus580

The actual move shouldnt be bumpy.... What most will see, is a period of time, where the forum is 'turned off'

What I will do, is turn the forum off, so nobody can post, copy everything to the new server, turn it back on. Then there will a period of time, that your computer may load the old server instead of the new. This should only last a couple of hours.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
That was NOT a critcism. I spent more than twenty years in the computer field, mainly in ops. And I know ONE THING.

Nothing EVER goes as smoothly as it's planned to go. Mr. Murphy raises his head at the most inopportune times, eh?

mangus580

I suppose that is true...

But... I did bring the forum back from total death in about a week and a half ;-) so i think I can move the running one in a couple of hours :D

mangus580

The problem is, we are too big for what the host wants. We are in the confines of the specs they provide when they sell the service, but they have a clause in their Terms Of Service that basically says if they want, they can shut down a site for any reason. They claim we are overloading their server. As soon as I can get things organized with the 'dictator' we will be moving.

mangus580

DONATIONS ;-)

Every penny helps!!

Also you will notice soon, that we might be doing some advertising. It wont be alot... I think just a banner at the top of the page.

Stiches

Well I figure if I had to pay for all the advice and tech support that I get here it would cost a bunch so I'd be glad to donate. Where do I send the check? Does the host charge alot?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a paypal a while back. After quite a long time, the money was returned to my account as uncollected. Any thoughts?

Jones

Just pitched a couple of bucks towards the donation tab. Wish it could be more. Many thanks to all the forum moderators, new-found friends and knowledgable types who populate this site and keep it afloat. No matter how much we pitch in to keep this outfit going; it's still a lot cheaper than retail parts, sound technical advice, and professional counseling when a project goes wrong.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Guys,
Thanks for pitching in for the move. It really helps out a lot! Hang in there with us. It is definitely a good thing that we have to move because we are too big and too busy. That means we are doing something right and that MV lovers around the world are finding each other here. Great stuff!! Thanks Mike for all your hard work!
Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks